Battery Courier

biggles

Surley they have to know there are batteries in there to refuse? I have never been asked to unwrap a parcel to prove its not a bomb,batteries, other lethal goods etc.

Will.

Go into a Royal Mail post office now and you will be asked if certain goods, including a battery, are in the parcel. You can no longer send a mobile phone battery through the normal post. There is a list up on the wall telling you what can be in a parcel.

There was a change in the law regarding the transport of batteries which came in to force Jan 1st 2012. Previously, because the vehicle had a battery itself, it was deemed OK for it to carry batteries as cargo without special licensing etc. From Jan 1st, batteries are considered as hazardous Cargo. The courier needs to have special insurance and the vans must have warning decals on the back to carry them legally.

How do some companies continue to send them, when we were refused by the same carriers they use?

My account manager explained that they were shipping thousands of batteries and they could not afford to loose the business. So, in their case they turn a blind eye so long as the batteries are packaged such that they give no indication of the contents.

"Would you do the same for X-Eng?" - "NO!"

So, the only way you can send a battery is if you do not tell them! However, they are breaking the law and you are probably doing so too. If the contents cause injury or damage, you are libel!

Si

Is that not the result of lithium ion batteries exploding? I have been involved with these at some stage and sending them by plane even involved a UN test, which involved dropping it from a great height and a vibration test, after which it still had to work at 90% percent of its capacity.

Any other battery, I cannot see any safety problem, provides it doesnot leak acid.

Daan

• 1 month later...