300tdi glow plug sheared off :-(

When I changed mine the threaded part came out but two of the elements remained firmly stuck in the head. I took a risk and left them both in place. They are slightly tapered so are more likely to be expelled than fall into the engine. One came out after 500 miles at 3am while driving back from the airport but I had a spare with me so just pulled over fitted the spare and carried on. The second is still stuck in there, I must have done 10,000 miles since and its still stuck. I know its a risk but I have chosen to accept that risk!

Had this problem with my 200 tdi. First try to start the engine as mentioned above, could very well work. If not, there are companies that specialize in removing them, it seems to happen a lot on modern common rail diesels. They sent me a quote of +/-100 pounds back then.

Eventually decided to take the head of and replace the head gasket in the process, which turned out be a good decision. When the head is of you simply tap it ouf from the inside.

I would have a go at drilling it out with a bit just smaller than the glow plug.

It may well twist out during the drilling process, careful not to damage the threads and worst comes to worse you will have to take head off.

The drill bit is shorter than the glow plug so you wont drill into the chamber. I think its a 3.5 bit you will need

Did mine today some stiff but once twisted slightly they drew out ok (none broke off)

Out of curiosity Liam do they come out with a whimper or like a bullet?

I was just driving along at 60mph and it suddenly came out, wasn't very dramatic, pulled over and engine was still ticking over surprisingly well on three cylinders but with a fair bit of noise every time air was forced out of the glow plug hole. I never did find the expelled bit and nothing was damaged when it exited. It's usually carbon build up around the elements that end up holding them in place. I believe you can get special fluid to pour down the hold to break down the carbon, but as muddy says diesel may well work.

yea it has sheared below the threads i thorght as it was stuck enuff to shear it there then it would be ok so im going to have to live with that in the back of my mind lol i will carry a spare glow plug for when it pings out !