RV8 camshaft timing mark

mat2495

Could somebody confirm where the timing mark on the camshaft sprocket should be in relation to the woodruff key slot? I have two and they are 90 degree's different :rolleyes: setting it up the two different ways suggests that 90 degrees anticlockwise is correct ( the other timing mark being opposite the key way.

3.5 engine with standard 3.9 cam if it makes an difference

Thanks

Its got nothing to do with where it is in relation to the woodruff key. The dots on the cam and crank wheels should be next to each other. Ie dot on cam at 6 o'clock and dot on crank at 12 o'clock. Providing cylinder 1 at TDC

Not sure if this will help.....

attachicon.gifIMG_1480.JPG

Timing marks top of bigger gear and small dot on top of lower gear... Engine at TDC.

This was 4.6 but they aren't too different....

How different is yours??

Neil

Technically you're right, but it's normally setup with mark on the bottom of the big gear & mark at the top of the bottom gear.

The above pictured will be ok as the crank turns twice to the cams once.

G

From google :

LI-4.0-Rover-V8-255.jpg

• Like 1

Technically you're right, but it's normally setup with mark on the bottom of the big gear & mark at the top of the bottom gear.

The above pictured will be ok as the crank turns twice to the cams once.

G

From google :

No, you're not right...sorry.

Not sure if this will help.....

attachicon.gifIMG_1480.JPG

Timing marks top of bigger gear and small dot on top of lower gear... Engine at TDC.

This was 4.6 but they aren't too different....

How different is yours??

Neil

I did mine last week. 3.5 with 3.9 cam and a gear like in this picture.

The key should be at 9 o'clock and the timing mark at 6 o'clock (in the pic it is at 12 o'clock)

Yes, that's the conclusion i came to, but with the timing mark at 6 o'clock the key was at 12 o'clock. Really glad I compared the old and new gears as that would have caused quite a lot of head scratching when trying to get it to go.

matt

• 9 years later...

The V8 with vee belts and a distributor did not have a locating plate. The disributorless engines (GEMS and Thor) did have one, but they were fitted to later vehicles.

The engines with a wide polyvee belt (Serpentine) I cant remember TBH, but I dont think it did.

• Thanks 1