"Heavy Duty" Drive Flanges

Ive got a pair of these flanges as the last piece of the puzzle for my disk converted salisbury rear axle:

http://www.paddockspares.com/pm770-heavy-duty-drive-flanges-pair.html

Fitted the short side yesterday (and discovered i cant fit the long side without pushing the landrover outside, as the shafts longer than the gap between hub and wall...) and in doing so i wondered if theres supposed to be a seal on the big nut?

They screw on and nip up tight, but theres nothing that forms a seal as such? I want to fill the cap with grease to help lubricate the splines, but dont want it pissing out everywhere.

I noticed ashcrofts flanges seem to come with an O-Ring, should i look at getting a suitable O-Ring, or will they be fine as they are?

For what its worth, I have the paddocks ones on mine and they came with an O ring. But I found the O ring very quickly deformed and became useless so now I just put some silicone around the base of the flange and nip the cap up to that.

Out of interest, why remove the half shaft to swap flanges?

Shafts were already out, as i removed them when i converted the axle to disk brakes.

However the axle is now bolted up under the truck inside the garage, and hence it wont clear the wall to go back in!

Hehe, I'd need to drill thru the neighbours garage too, and feed it thru from inside his garage :P

I just need to move some carp and i can roll it back out the door, then i can pop the shaft in! Will sort it at the weekend.

Mine had O-rings but they were of very little use.

I used PTFE tape and they have been perfectly oiltight for several years now, just leave a roll in your toolkit in-case you ever have to remove the caps between servicing.