Insurance

Keeper96

This is probably not want you want to hear, but they are all going to suck.

You are going to have to talk to a lot of people and most of them will be ignorant and uncaring, so brace yourself for some grief. Try your local NFU office, Endsleigh, then the advertisers in the Land Rover mags.

It will help a great deal if your 90 is un modified and you describe it as a Land Rover 90; most insurer databases will not recognize a 1989 Defender and you will, very likely, confuse the person on the phone. Put your parents on the LR as named drivers, agree a voluntary excess and ideally garage the 90 overnight to get the premium down.

Don't ever lie to an insurance company as it can cost you more than money.

Good luck!

Cheers Jeremy, I've got a quote of £3400 ATM which isn't bad compared to my friends who are paying about £2500-£3000 for a mix of corsas, clips etc. so just wandering if I can get it down a bit more or see about a multi car policy with my dads cars or something?

Try Adrian Flux - they have both a young driver and 4x4 dept so might be more helpful. Also for that age of vehicle it can come under a classic policy - not sure how your age will affect it.

Also try http://www.cherishedcarinsurance.co.uk/ they manage a quote significantly lower than anyone else when I was doing my Discovery - but then again I am more than twice your age with a clean driving history so that will help a bit!

£3400 isn't bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy $h!t!!! I consider £340 to be too much.... guess I am really out of touch with reality! sign of getting old!

I cannot recommend any particular insurers, but for info Lancaster and Sureterm are the same group and do not quote against each other.

It depends if you are insuring your kids direct, or putting them on your or your partners policy, as a named additional driver.

From experience of insuring 2 sons and 1 daughter, if you are insuring them direct it is often cheaper, strangely enuf, to add you and your other half on the policy as named co-drivers, because it reduces the premium. The theory is, your sprog does not spend all the time driving the car! Apart from that be prepared to be royally shafted - because it aint cheap. I know that some insurers insure landys cheaper than hatchbacks and face it at the end of the day I would prefer my kids to be in a 0-60 in 10 minutes Defender then a rip-snorty hatchback imbedded in a tree.

Admirals worth a go (or bell/elephant, their the same company), and adding low risk drivers to your policy with Admiral works well to bring the policy down too.

Chuck the details at gocompare and comparethemarket, and try direct line and aviva too.

Given its a first car, and your age, you'd be wise to keep it unmodified, as it means you can pursue all the mainstream insurance companies to maximise your chances of a good quote.

Sorry - meant to say it may be worth asking an old fashioned insurance brokers. There are a few left and sometimes they have history with underwriters for particular insurers where they can hustle a deal. Doesnt mean you have to sign up unless they get you the right deal. Remember, not all insurance companies put product on compare sites, so there are other options.

Some companies offer accelerated no claim policies over 10 months. Its up to you to do the maths to see if it works.

Also be aware about spreading the cost with monthly DD payments. If you child has a claim ( and almost all of them do ) you have to pay the whole premium before the claim is settled. Normally there is no refund for unexpired period of insurance, although they normally offset a chunk of this if you re-insure another vehicle within a stated time frame.

Best of luck

Studmuffin

Nfu hiked there prices last year and I changed to Adrian flux. Im 21 it cost me £1275 ish to insure my 110 with my old 4.2 Turbocharged v8, I have now insured it this year with my new 5.9 Cummins and is £1399 :) also the Nfu don't like a huge list of modifications and wouldn't insure mine once I fitted a roll cage but Adrian flux are more than happy to take your business with them.

You would be surprised, my modifications didn't really increase my premium but the Bhp level did, going from Std. 111 Bhp 300Tdi to a 4.2 v8 with 200 then adding a turbo to make 260 Bhp made my premium £1850 at 19, then £1470 at 20, and at renewal this year was £1006 at 21.

As the 5.9 Cummins will be bordering on 300+ Bhp this then increased my premiums again.

I'd certainly count changing the engine as a modification!

Insurance companies are set up based on "normal cars". So things like aftermarket wheels, bolt-on-bling and fancy stereos increase premiums because they make the vehicle more attractive to thieves, or at least their statistics show that those vehicles are claimed upon more often.

I doubt they will be too bothered about those mods, but you must tell them anyway that way your covered if you do have an accident, I have listed 2 pages of A4 with modifications that way everything is covered on the system.

I think the rule is any modifications that affect vehicle price and engine power will increase premiums, by fitting £2000 of gear onto a £5000 Landy won't necessarily mean it's going to be worth £7000 if you catch my drift.

I probably wouldnt even tell them about those things tbh if they were the only mods.

I've NEVER declared a stereo change in any car ive had, though i've happily declared that i've installed bigger brakes, or aftermarket suspension etc etc.

A line has to be drawn somewhere doesnt it?

A magnetic tax disk holder or a magic tree is a non-standard part, but your not going to mention those are you? Or maybe you fitted some Halfords "Ultra" headlamp bulbs or recovered the front seats with that non-standard kit from britpart so they're now clean and non-saggy rather than worn out and knackered? Or maybe fitting a nice classy beaded seat cover or a rug on the parcel shelf? What about when you fitted some BFG's instead of the OEM fitment General Grabbers to the standard wheels?

So many things could in theory be considered to be a modification from the original specification, but in reality the insurance company wont give a carp about them, and if you mention them you just create a world or hurt for yourself as some call centre mongo hasnt a clue what your on about and makes a big deal out of nothing.