Extended Arches - options?

Hi,

I changed wheels a while back, and while I was round at Jason's a while back he pointed out that they were slightly (!!) protruding past the arches, so were technically illegal... :(

It looks like it's the offset / width of the rims as they are only 265 tyres, and rather than have to spend a fortune on a new setup, I was looking at the options for extended arches. I've found ones similar to these ones:

http://www.paddockspares.com/pm789-defender-extended-arches-2-inch-wider-than-standard-set-of-4.html

Do they require trimming of the metal to get them to fit? Ideally I want something more 'standard' looking but 2" or so wider rather than bolt on type ones... Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Jon

They probably won't require trimming but they will require drilling holes in the sides so you can still never take them off.......

I'm in a similar situation running 35's on mine and I'm thinking old conveyor belt - but that is not really the standard look you are going for though...

Typical :(

Some chappy at the Newbury show was selling a set of 2" extended arches that looked completely standard fitment, they were £60 but by the time I'd wandered round for a bit and gone back they'd gone... So I guess they must exist out there, somewhere!

Hi, I've seen some people add in a 2 inch strip of ali/steel to bring the existing arch our from the body work. That way you can still use the existing arch, but may require some trimming and trickery as on the front it forms or seals off the inner wing. Steve

As far as I know the legal requirment is that the arch covers the tire tread and not the side wall, could be wrong though.

Corect under construction & use regs, the tread must be covered when viewed from directly above looking downwards to tyre. nothing in MOT regs IIRC.

As far as I know the legal requirment is that the arch covers the tire tread and not the side wall, could be wrong though.

It'd be very close on mine - with insa dakars (BFG mud pattern) the tread extends out a long way too...

I'd rather spend a few quid on some arches than potentially a fine / points for being borderline! Other option is to replace the wheels/tyres, but that's kinda overkill!

QT do a nice set, 2 different widths IIRC.

Problem at the front is the standard arches also include the inner guard (partnr RRC3043 and RRC3044). So you need to cut the standard arches to leave the inner part attached to avoid creating additional mud traps and add the rubber to the outside. Not sure if there are extensions available that include the inner guard.

Jon,

Are you on modular wheels? In that case, you probably bought 0mm ofset ones, rather than the common 8mm offset ones. I am having the same problem, I did wonder why they stuck out, as the sums didn't add up. When I measured the wheels, they turned out to be the 0mm offset jobbies. I have used conveyer belt strips to move the eyebrows outboard in the past, but it looked a bit getto. Now changing the wheels. The problem with the wider eye brows is that they aren't very flexible, I heard of someone having them at an event, and by the time he finished, he had one half of one eyebrow left.

Daan

Hi, I've seen some people add in a 2 inch strip of ali/steel to bring the existing arch our from the body work. That way you can still use the existing arch, but may require some trimming and trickery as on the front it forms or seals off the inner wing. Steve

Ash's tomcat by any chance? I think thats what I do when I go for bigger tyres on day. Only flexible option that actually looks OK IMO is are the rubber ones that QT make.

Jon,

Are you on modular wheels? In that case, you probably bought 0mm ofset ones, rather than the common 8mm offset ones.

They are mods, yes. I bought them second hand from another forum - I looked for a stamp with the offset but couldn't see anything, although I didn't get as far as whipping a wheel off and checking the back....

If noone makes anything standard looking I guess it's raid the piggy bank time :(