Where do you buy steel sheet/bars from??

reb78

I need to buy some more steel for some fabrication. I'm planning on fitting my old front defender seats in the middle row and need to build a frame.

When I search for places that sell sheet metal and steel I cant find anywhere that local to me. Firstly I wonder if I am searching for the right thing (what do you type into google?). Secondly, can anyone recommend anywhere near Potters Bar in Herts, or near Wellingborough in Northants that sell metal?

Why steel ? Why a frame ?

Go and find a series seat box. Take it to bits and put it back how you want it to fit. After all if that seat box is good enough for front seats, it's good for the others.

I've got one Mike. However, most recently, I was thinking it would be even less hassle to run two box sections across the existing mounts for the rear seats (bolt them in using the original bolt holes). Then I can mark where the seats will sit and weld box section on at 90 degrees to the two sections running across the vehicle to coincide with where the seat runners fit.

The seatbox will need a bit of cutting to make it fit and I cant help but think if a frame can be made to fit the existing mounts, then this might be simpler (two bars across and six, shorter ones running backwards.

Definitely try local steel fabricators. Chances are they will have a guillotine and folder and for a bit extra will shear to size, and bend if required.

Sorry dont know any to suggest as you are way out from my area.

Do not under any circumstances buy from a supermarket for metals type business. They do not stock anything but buy it in cut to size from real stockholders/processors and double or triple the price and charge delivery, using a pallet network, so you pay for collecting from the supplier as well.

If you get a prob - let me know and I`ll can maybe pull in a favour or two locally if you can pick up.

Cheers

The reason I mentioned series seat box is IIRC it all comes to bits unlike the Defender one. Can't you use the rails from that after you've taken it apart ?

I'll take another look at it Mike. If i can dissect it and use it then it is a good plan. My worry is that its strength comes from its box like construction and that dismantling it and using it in part might make it quite flimsy. But, since i have it, it is definately worth a try.

http://www.hewardanddean.com/

Website isn't great but give them and ring and they'll do what they can.

Thanks for that. I'll pop in there when i next go up to AJDs to pick up some parts. Very useful.

Part of the problem is that i like to browse what i am going to buy as i am not always sure what size of part i really need to engineer something with appropriate strength until i see the bits. I guess a lot of these stockholders dont have time for me to umm and ahh at the counter!

Definitely try local steel fabricators. Chances are they will have a guillotine and folder and for a bit extra will shear to size, and bend if required.

Sorry dont know any to suggest as you are way out from my area.

Do not under any circumstances buy from a supermarket for metals type business. They do not stock anything but buy it in cut to size from real stockholders/processors and double or triple the price and charge delivery, using a pallet network, so you pay for collecting from the supplier as well.

If you get a prob - let me know and I`ll can maybe pull in a favour or two locally if you can pick up.

Cheers

Thanks for that. Thats very good of you to offer. I'll see how i get on and give you a shout if i run into problems. :)

Twiggs of Matlock,

they may not be local to you, but they may still deliver, its worth an ask

for us ~15 miles away, its free delivery, so cant imagine it being too expensive, on the plus side, they will cut and supply to size,

i have just finished fabricating up a muckspreader lid that they supplied the steel for, cut to size and profiled, all i had to do was weld the 2 halves together and then add on the brackets and pivots

we use them every time as they are extremely helpful and havent had a "wrong" bit of metal off them yet