Difinitive list of galvable bits?

Hi.

I have a growing pile of bits ready to go to be galv'd, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has come up with a definitive list of bits that would benefit from galvanising.

I already have all the following, all zincish and shiny -

Chassis

Crossmember

Steering guard

Body cappings

Bumper

Gwyn's suspension goodies

And so far I have these in the pile to be dipped -

Bulkhead

Tankguard

Military rear bumperettes

Bracket supports NRC4661 and NRC5478

Body mounting brackets NRC7053

Outrigger rear body brackets LR514BM (these last two are from memory, I need to check in the lockup.)

Rocksliders (although they're not yet welded up...)

Tub crossmembers (MUC8949)

Recovery ring NRC5396 and backing plate 562756

JATE rings (Need two more though)

I can't remeber if the sill channels etc are already galvanised, and I need to get the body stay centres MRC6019, and have them done too.

I'm not sure about doing the door frames yet, as I might just get some better doors.

Can anyone think of anything else for a 110 pickup? I know there's the bulkhead supports, but I don't have them yet, or even know their number. I need to look at the parts book next time I'm at dad's. There are obviously some non-essentials in there, but it's really the bog-standard bits I'm worried about, I don't want to go to all this trouble, and then find that there's something I've left out.

I might also try to find a tank-guard for the secondary tank, as I'm intending to fit an lpg doughnut at the back. Will a 90 one fit?

I thought this might make a useful list for anyone going down this path in the future.

Cheers

Jake

Inner wheel arches at the front

Shock Turrets

Sill channels

Feel brave. Drill all rivets on the seat box and get the tool box and batery box galved and then rebuild with new rivets and sikaflex.

Basically anything ferrous, even if it was already done. Do it again!

I have several brackets left over from my build already galved if they are any use to you?

Thanks Guys, that's a good list. Seatbox isn't a problem, as I'm loosing the toolbox for a tank, and tthe battery box needs doing anyway.

Mr Farmer (I'm not sure that I can call you just Orgasmic and keep a straight face), which bits do you have? I'd definitely be interested. The inner arches are pretty immaculate, and the turrets are new from Gwyn :i-m_so_happy: .

Cackshifter, I'm struggling to picture which bit you mean. The brain's a little slow today. The weekend seems to be exactng some kind of pennance...

Cheers,

Jake

The exhaust hangers are a good idea. The door frames I'm undecided about, as I'd have to repair them a lot, and might just get another set of doors, and then do them Maybe just swap the door skins onto galvanised frames, then repair the old frames and fit 'em with new skins and sell them. That way I don't have to paint them.

The bonnet seems like a nightmare to un-frame! Maybe when I get the door frames done.

Let me know about the brackets, that sounds great.

What about the steel inspection panel under the cubby box, and the lid to the battery box? or is that being a little silly?

Could the axle casings be done or would you have problems rebuilding them afterwards? Oh and radius arms and the like?

The inspection lid is already galv, as mine's of the '84 vintage. The battery lid might be a candidate, the slam panel and those diagonal bars definitely are.

I see what you mean about the crow's feet, are they not cast? I'm not certain, but I think I've already painted these up.

What about the steel inspection panel under the cubby box, and the lid to the battery box? or is that being a little silly?

Could the axle casings be done or would you have problems rebuilding them afterwards? Oh and radius arms and the like?

Barry I've got galv'd axle casings on my 90-Bought them off someone on e-bay

John

I'd have thought radius arms were forged, especially as some people heat and bend them for caster correction.

The suggestion for galvanising wasn't so much to stop them rotting as to stop you having to paint them.... match everything else then ;)

Barry I've got galv'd axle casings on my 90-Bought them off someone on e-bay

John

Nice, no worries on the diff pan or axle tubes rotting :) I did wonder wether there would be issues with the diff casting bolting up and sealing, obviously not :)

Fair point Barry - though personally I would likely paint them anyhow as the shine would be startling to begin with at least! Once the galv had dulled down a tad (which wouldn't take long in the under-vehicle environment I'm sure) it would be fine though.

Axle casings are a good shout I think - should prevent pans and brackets from rusting away.

jbs yours were galvanised inside and out presumably? Did you have to do any remedial works? I'm thinking the diff studs would need a die running down them (or removal and replacement afterwards I guess)?

jbs yours were galvanised inside and out presumably? Did you have to do any remedial works? I'm thinking the diff studs would need a die running down them (or removal and replacement afterwards I guess)?

Yes inside and out, I did have to drill out the galv on the holes on the diff part of it-for the studs that hold the diff onto the casing as It came without them fitted and also the brake calliper bolt holes and obviously had to re-tap them out too, But I'm really glad that I bought them now-goes with my galv'd chassis

And re the casing It sealed fine without any problems

John

.....I might also try to find a tank-guard for the secondary tank, as I'm intending to fit an lpg doughnut at the back. Will a 90 one fit?

If you fit a 90 tank the front mount is a seperate bracket that you might like to galvanise.