ARB locker carriers, Cast iron/steel or billet?

Can someone help settle a friendly disagreement on the construction of ARB locker carriers? I was of the opinion they are cast nodular/SG iron, whilst my opponent swears they are machined from steel billets. Anyone here know the answer for certain? I stand to lose a shilling if I'm wrong.

Bill.

Read and fall about laughing ....ARBs finest castings : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.532110376831049.1073741826.262992553742834&type=1

Buy an Ashlocker, superior in everyway - and on the horror above the ashcroft CW&P survived !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Thanks Nige, but gee was it only yesterday that you posted this? I've already been kicked off 2 other 4wd forums for supplying your and Daves evidence that ARBs are carp, to Ostriches (head in sand and all that) that refuse to acknowledge the facts! And these were on threads that I didn't personally start !

I've only got here and Pirate left, as I've burned all my other bridges over the years. :mellow: I must be a stubborn disagreeable son of a gun LOL.

Bill.

Thanks Nige, but gee was it only yesterday that you posted this? I've already been kicked off 2 other 4wd forums for supplying your and Daves evidence that ARBs are carp, to Ostriches (head in sand and all that) that refuse to acknowledge the facts! And these were on threads that I didn't personally start !

I've only got here and Pirate left, as I've burned all my other bridges over the years. :mellow: I must be a stubborn disagreeable son of a gun LOL.

Bill.

Bill, the main reason we appreciate your posts so much is that you bring the truth, and nothing than the truth.

Keep the truth coming!

Daan

PS: Although I have yet to prove your experience of Detroits being garbage. :rolleyes:

Bill, good question.

Although I am not a trained metallurgist but this is what my work experience tells me.

In its true sense cast iron is and was always a primitive method of forming shapes from iron.

By its very nature its varying chemical composition and its unavoidable lack of carbon restriction mean that it is often structurally flawed, and is particularly susceptible to shear stress. To avoid this cast objects tended to be fairly bulky/heavy.

Similarly billets of steel/iron were effectively big lumps of ferrous material from a blast furnace which require secondary processing, for example rolling/ annealing/ re-rolling to form Mild Steel plate, sheet, channel, angle etc....

On the other hand, steel in all its modern varied form is a very sophisticated product which is specifically produced with a particular designed chemical composition and mechanical values to achieve a particular specification.

This can range from free machining steels for toolmakers to high strength low weight steels (HSLA steels) which work harden during pressing. So for instance a seat belt anchor on a car can be reduced from say 4mm thick to 2.5mm thick and have the same structural strength but a reduced weight, which is why Range Rovers and Discos are able to shed weight to meet future mpg requirements.

Similarly the steel used originally in series 1and 2 Landys bears no relation to the steel used in the chassis in modern Landys. Steel production in the late 40`s/ 50`s was a very different time.

Think its time to stop because I sound like I am in anorak mode :blush:

Cheers Barry

Great post Barry, thanks. However if I had earlier linked your post to one of the afore mentioned forums in particular, you would have heard the sound of heads exploding from here to all the way there in Shropshire. I mean I am talking THICK here. So thick they make Hillbilly Rednecks look like Einsteins.

According to statistics that I have just made up, there has recently been a sharp spike in the per capita purchases of banjo's here in Australia. I'm not a Trekky, but WTF is Scotty when you need him? The average IQ here has gone in the same direction of the fortunes of the Aussie cricket team!

Can you tell that I had left the link to this thread on that particular forum before my departure? LOL.

Bill.

It all seems a bit, well, un-achieving? like arguing which was best car in 1990, Lada or FSO :)

They all seem to have dog clutches that need slow speed differences to engage? The ideal diff lock has a multi plate clutch in it instead.

We're at the cheap end where it's all a bit of a compromise in a standard OE axel case ;)

Great post Barry, thanks. However if I had earlier linked your post to one of the afore mentioned forums in particular, you would have heard the sound of heads exploding from here to all the way there in Shropshire. I mean I am talking THICK here. So thick they make Hillbilly Rednecks look like Einsteins.

According to statistics that I have just made up, there has recently been a sharp spike in the per capita purchases of banjo's here in Australia. I'm not a Trekky, but WTF is Scotty when you need him? The average IQ here has gone in the same direction of the fortunes of the Aussie cricket team!

Can you tell that I had left the link to this thread on that particular forum before my departure? LOL.

Bill.

LOL Bill. Strictly between us I am embarrassed to admit that I sometimes get called on to play banjo for money in my other job. In terms of IQ we are usually ranked just behind drummers which believe me is well down the food chain. :blush: