Grease Gun Usage

SPendrey

I have a couple of grease guns, a big one and a small one. Had them both for about 2 years, but I always get mixed results with them, sometimes they 'pump' grease, sometimes they don't. I suspect user error, and as neither came with instructions I'm hoping someone out there knows a thing or two that they can share!

Focusing on the big one... At one end there's a plunger which seems to be controlled by a tab that releases it to compress the grease I assume?

At the other end is there's two outlets for the grease, one is plugged the other is the hose for grease nipples etc. There's also some sort of release valve that I assume is to remove air from the cylinder? What else might it do?

So, once I've placed grease in the cylinder with the plunger already pulled out, I would press the release button/lever which causes the plunger to compress the grease. I would then assume when I squeeze the trigger I'd get grease coming out? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Should I pull/release the plunger frequently? Should I release it at the same time as pulling open the little valve thing? Let me know!!

post-11857-0-85692900-1383858749_thumb.jpg

post-11857-0-52212800-1383858758_thumb.jpg

post-11857-0-16159100-1383858767_thumb.jpg

Should I pull/release the plunger frequently? Should I release it at the same time as pulling open the little valve thing? Let me know!!

Yes to the first question, not sure about the second, as my gun doesn't have one.

Daan

just have 2 guns on hand and then when one doesent work, the other doesent either!. i usually take them apart again and put the lid back on.

then they sometimes work.

theyre a bit like women really, unpradictable and bleeding annoying sme times haha

I use cartridge guns of various designs, i'm not messing with filling manually!

On mine you draw the springy handle back which latches into place, open and change the cartridge (with both covers removed), put the lid on then release the springy handle by pressing the locking tab, the sprindy handle goes so far in. Then pump the handle to get grease out, you get a shot of grease per pump. There is a valve on the top which is to admit air as you draw the handle back but I usually push it in once I've changed the cartridge to let any air out. Work every time until they're empty.

The fitment on to the grease nipples on the other hand...

• 2 weeks later...