MIG or TIG lovely item wot I has bought

Whilst buying TIG stuff and Gas I spied this

Its a unbelievably powerful magnetic 300amp earth clamp. ..twist its knob and I can't pull it off the welding bench

Shdn the magnet is off its off - no swarf collects on it

Grips on ghe slitest wiff of steel

I have used this today where the spring clam was jumping off connected this up anc

What a joy

£30

Good for SWMBO asking what ya want for christmas ......

post-22-0-90411800-1384540382_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-67402200-1384540404_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-09456200-1384540436_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-05162700-1384540459_thumb.jpg

Nige

Amongst all the marketing talk I still haven't found how the damn thing actually works! Just the one wire from the welder can't be used to power an electromagnet, so it must have a battery inside? Or is it really just a permanent magnet that you screw down (and thus would still pick up swarf)?

Obviously it doesn't work on ally ...... however is it strong enough to stick to some 1 or 2mm ally with a bit of steel behind it? Just curious.....

No, strange that. ;-) I was going to take my eclipse swarf pickup stick back to MM till I had a "moment" when I realised I'd been drilling/sawing ally. It wont pick up brass either, what a con.

Elbekko the magnet is the same arrangement as the mag vices and dti stands, which work when you twist the poles into alignment via twisting the knob 90 degrees which creates the magnet, very handy for removing the swarf which has lodged itself on the magnet.

• 1 month later...

A little update on these, I requested a 200a one for christmas from swmbo, and got it fitted today.

I wanted it for my plasma because one way or another there never seems to be a free edge on the plate for the clamp type.

Verdict; it works very well not sure it clamps well enough for 200a welder but its perfect for the plasma.

DSC_0243_zpshnh3osqu.jpg