V8 Exhaust manifold options (to fit 101)

Soren Frimodt

Hi Gents, need a bit of advise here.

My Dad is well under way in the dis-assembly of a 101 he is restoring. We knew beforehand that the exhaust had a leak near the LHS manifold, we didn't however know it was completely split in several pieces. Now we have looked at the option of getting it welded but no one is sure it'll last, and seeing as it has multiple cracks I honestly think it is a waste of time and money.

So far we haven't been able to locate neither a used one, or a new for that matter, so we are a bit lost. We have tried with various RRC/Defender versions but there simply is no room.

So my next thought was to turn to you guys, you may have seen or heard about some manifold, factory fitted to something or aftermarket that could fit the bill. we don't mind making custom exhaust if that is the case.

Last resort would be to make our own manifold, but we'd rather not.

Pictures say more than a thousand words, so attached is a couple so you get an idea of the problem and the constraints we have to work around:

post-9137-0-64631700-1386229868_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-22899700-1386229885_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys

8576094828_ba6c9ff8b8_z.jpg

Left%20Hand%20Exhast%20manifold by Pinkrover, on Flickr

here's a picture showing the work involved to make the P38 left hand manifold fit into a 101, another option I have heard of is from the MG owners club, they do a system for the V8 MG but it exits down wards

11223947314_ea56bc3843_z.jpg

f0d2c06c by Pinkrover, on Flickr

11224046753_20f07322fd_z.jpg

V8%20Headers by Pinkrover, on Flickr

11223937865_be6ea15c82.jpg

C030 by Pinkrover, on Flickr

all the above are pictures of MG V8 manifold below is the Standard P38 right hand manifold in place on a 101

11224046263_b7354d4c84_z.jpg

RR%20SS%20exhast%20manifolds by Pinkrover, on Flickr

Hi Soren,

the manifold will fit straight onto the block, it is intrinsically the same block, the adjustments are required to fit around the body work and gearbox mainly on the left-hand side, ( and the pulley's if you have a nokken winch ).

on the right hand side you may have to mod the hand brake linkage to clear the manifold....

I have a pair of P38 manifolds , but have not had time to look at them, so if you do mod a left-hand one I would be very interested in seeing the pictures and dimensions to help me when I have the time to do mine.

There is another option, but I am not sure how it would work out in a 101, that is the TVR manifold which I believe exits forwards

Les

Good info guys, maybe an offspring of this could be a "various Exhaust manifolds for V8 engine swap" thread? I remember when I put a V8 into an S2 88" That manifold clearance is one of the biggest issues with V8 swaps..

I'm pretty convinced we're gonna source a couple of P38's and try those, not being cast they seem quite easy to work on, so just need to find a source here in Denmark for tube parts in the right dimension.

I am slowly building a 4.6 to go into my 101 and have been putting a bit of thought into the exhaust. The standard exhaust manifolds do strangle a bit to produce the the low down torque required on the 3.5. I could just put the old manifolds on the 4.6 but not if I want to maximise its power potential.

My research has shown the right hand P38 exhaust manifold will basically fit with minimal modification but the left hand manifold will not fit without cutting the inner top of the chassis. There is a pic of the rh manifold installed, can anyone confirm or deny what I have been told about the lh manifold and ideally got a pic.

Thanks

Garry

They do? how come? are they stainless?

Don't think they are stainless.

They crack where the pipes come together, I think mostly due to heat cycling and the weight of the exhaust. They also like to leak at the flex coupling.

Both can be easily visually identified though, look for black/gray marks.

I've just welded up a set of P38 manifolds to fit to the 109 as it happens, they split where the pipes join, seemingly just due to flexing as suggested.

My plan is to make the 1st thing after the manifold a short flexi joiner to take stress off it. I also added some little bits of bracing to stop the P38 pipes moving too much, but it's always 50/50 if extra bracing will help stop it moving, or just crack sooner 'cos it's stiffer... at least the P38 ones can be welded, unlike the cast ones.

are they stainless Fridge ? I was looking at maybe using the front 2 on the manifold and adding another front 2 to make the left hand manifold fit on my 101....

I'm not sure - they're definitely not the shiny sort if they are. I guess the question is whether they ever rust through, perhaps it's too early to tell but P38's are mostly 10+ years old now and I've not spotted any holey manifolds.

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update on this! My dad sourced some P38 manifolds here in Denmark, and today we started working on them.

They are indeed stainless and the pair he got his hands on were in very good shape.

Him being in sort of the same situation as me, job-vise meant that we had to do this as cheaply as possible. So we choose to mod the manifold to look like this:

post-9137-0-87549700-1388857472_thumb.jpg

We used as much as the original tubing as possible, and some extra stainless that we had from an old BMW motorbike. It is all welded with an ordinary MIG gun, works just fine in stainless has done it a hundred times, only thing is the welds themselves will corrode, but have yet to have one corrode all the way through. So for a cheap solution this seems to be very good. Just have to do some more welding tomorrow for my old man!

• Like 1