What a plonker!

reb78

Me that is!

SWMBO left the lights on on the 110 earlier. Won't out to start it later and the battery was flat. No big deal. I nipped home and grabbed my spare battery and jump leads. Now for the silly bit....

It was dark and I connected both leads to the battery in the truck. I connected the positive, to the spare battery and then the earth. There was a fair old spark, but I clamped it on. 15 seconds later there was smoke. I'd gone and connected the bloody batteries up wrong! I pulled one of the clamps off.

Now, I've called myself a lot worse than plonker this evening. I've blown the fuses on my eberspacher and my amp as they are connected via a fused wire each to the battery, but at the moment everything else seems to be working.

Am I likely to have done any other damage??

Anything with electronics in it could potentially have been traumatized.

Examples: Diodes in the alternator, glowplug timer, flasher-relay, intermittent-wipe-relay, tachometer, alarm/immobilizer, engine-management ECU (doubt you've got one).

[it made an amusing mess when I let someone jump-start his 12-volt Ford Transit minibus from a 24V FFR Land-Rover: he had to replace the radios and all the sidelight and instrument-panel bulbs !]

I did this to a Peugeot - the battery +ve was black and the earth red. I didn't work that out until the smoke stage. No damage apparent - and that was a few months ago.

I'm hoping the blown fuses are it, but knowing my luck, something else will surface!

Anything with electronics in it could potentially have been traumatized.

Examples: Diodes in the alternator, glowplug timer, flasher-relay, intermittent-wipe-relay, tachometer, alarm/immobilizer, engine-management ECU (doubt you've got one).

[it made an amusing mess when I let someone jump-start his 12-volt Ford Transit minibus from a 24V FFR Land-Rover: he had to replace the radios and all the sidelight and instrument-panel bulbs !]

Brings back memories from a lad needing a jump and all we had nearby was a 24V Volvo A25 Dump truck, I knew which battery it was that he needed but he picked the side with 24V and wouldn't listen when I told him use the other side.

Needless to say it fried his fairly new Mondeo, it was never the same after that :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Should always double check though, it can be a costly mistake for a moments lapse of concentration!!

I think I was lucky given those outcomes. I seriously don't know what I I was thinking - I think the trouble was I wasn't really thinking and was doing it in the dark. I'd assumed I'd out the battery down a certain way round, but never actually checked!

I did this to a Peugeot - the battery +ve was black and the earth red. I didn't work that out until the smoke stage. No damage apparent - and that was a few months ago.

Your lucky! My friend tried to jump his 200 90 off a 206, it fried the ecu, which is connected to the ignition barrel, the keys had to be changed, along with all the key barrels in the doors. Cost 1500 to repair.