VNT: has anybody...

bluespanner

... Invented a method of controlling one properly yet? There are a great many in the scrap yards but most people, myself included, don't know how to make it work. From what I read, the boost controlled ones aren't ideal, I have also seen a rather agricultural looking setup on a VW forum involving linkages and springs.

I think there is a gap in the market for a stand alone box of tricks and a couple of sensors, (boost and throttle position maybe?) to control an N75 type vacuum controller to allow using a standard vac actuator. Being a bear of little brain, such things are beyond me, but not beyond the capabilities of some on here.

What say y'all?

two of my friends run Vnt (one of them a 2.5 v6 turbo and the other actually a VW 2.7 Van turbo) on 200tdi's both of which are well and truely tuned, but they both are using kinguawa boost actuators with much success, will try and get more details though as I'm doing the same as both of them!

Mine is boost controlled. It doesn't get the last ounce of benefit, and does spike a little in fast transients, but it's 85% of the solution for 10% of the complexity.

I've a diaphragm which effectively reduces the boost as pressure builds. The size of the diaphragm, the spring force and the preload are the variables I tuned to get the final answer, and I've still got a bag of spare springs but I'm pretty happy with the result now.

A chap on AURLO said he converted his VNT to a boost actuator and that it ran fine. Yet the diesel tuning forums seem to discount that for a number of reasons.

The main one is that when your cruizing on the motor way, not needing much boost the turbo's veins cant open, causing back pressure and cosing a few MPG

Is that; more back pressure and MPG than an optimally controlled VNT; or than a standard Turbo (non VNT) in that situation ?

More back pressure and LESS MPG than an a properly controlled VNT. Idealy a VNT wants to be electronically controlled but the normal systems used are kak, vac controlled is better, mechanical control is kak, microprocessor is the best if you can make one work. 1 day in the distant future i'll do it this way with an electronics geeky friend of mine and i'll do the FIP as well.