Snow plough

Hi all,

This might just be a vapour build but i like the idea of making a snow plough for me Discovery.

I don't weld so it bolted togerther. I was thinking about mounting it to the recovery points on my steering gaurd, this offering a hinge point. I have looked on the the world wide web and there are quite a few video's on you tube from the states but all have been welded and look very heavy.

So has any one made one before or got any ideas that might help.

Chris.

looking through the latest lroi mag i seen the advert for warrior winches snow plough that fits a 2" reciever if you have one fittied to the front. im sure this could give you inspiration. i would prefer for it to have two mounting points to the vehicle like you have suggested.

http://www.warriorwinch.co.uk/winch_snow_plow.php

I guess it depends on what you want to plough? If it's a few hundred meters of drive way then you might be okay bolting something as you suggest. If it's to plough for miles and miles then you'd need to think about articulation and the like.

Ploughing snow will put one heck of a strain on your vehicle. As it stands I would suggest your disco would be able to cope with almost any snow conditions, a plough would only clear a path for others.

I've got an Atkinson plough for my Defender and it is a heavy piece of kit!

I'd suggest that you do need strong mounts to the chassis rails so that if you hit a hard lump, the verge, a rock etc it doesn't buckle or break something. Ideally you also want the plough to have its own jockey wheels to keep it running a constant distance off the ground. It would then need a pivot between the blade assembly and the vehicle.

You also need to be able to lift it off the ground so you can reverse without digging in. Mine has an H beam up to the level of the bonnet to pull from.

My avatar shows it in action.

We have a similar system on the local authority where I work, fitted to our four wheel drives they really are a good bit of kit with a hopper on the load bed spreading rock salt ours are electro/hydraulic lift and swivel, a word of caution though fitting a plough on your vehicle alters the handling like you would not believe, and would make your insurance void

Not quite in the same league, but this is a welded frame, bolted to a lawnmower with slightly more aggressive rear tyres. It's a bit homebrew and isn't perfect but it halved the amount of manual shovelling when we got a 1ft dump overnight last winter.

post-277-0-80000700-1389364084_thumb.jpg

Lessons learned:

• Snow's heavy - you need a lot of traction to push it, less so to shift it sideways
  • An angled blade just steers a lightweight lawnmower
  • A V-blade is heavily directionally influenced by asymmetric loading - you need to be using both faces or you simply can't steer.
  • That means you can never clear a path, just shift stuff side to side, you end up ploughing snow onto the gap you've just made.

A lot of these points will be easier with a LandRover, because it's heavier, weight over the steering wheels, and 4WD.

Thanks for the replys, we dont't get a lot of snow here in Derby so it wouldn't be moving lots of snow in one go. Do you think a tow along plough would work? Something like an A-frame from an old caravan/trailer, it would sit level with tow ball and then fit a blade under it? It would need a stay to stop it being pushed to the side i the plade was angled to the side.