Need some advise regarding potential purchase

Bucky

Hi,

Realise this is my first post so will do a bit of a intro, have had a passion for landys for years ever since sitting in a petrol series SWB towing boats around a site as a kid. I now find myself looking at defenders and while browsing found this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251424618856 which i really like, so i started digging up info on 100 builds. and have learnt a lot in the last few days. so armed with this information i contacted the dealer who hasn't been massivly helpfull but has tried. They don't seem to know anything about the conversion, but did provide me the full reg.

When i plugged that into all the reg checkers they come back as a 110 and upon paying for one i got this:

Make & Model Land Rover Lr 110 4c Sw VIN Check You have not performed a VIN check yet. Engine Size 2500cc Engine Number First Registered 18 Aug 1989 Year Manufactured 1989 Former Keepers 6 Last Keeper Change The last recorded change of keeper occurred on 25 Mar 2013 Body Light 4x4 Utility Colour White Fuel Heavy Oil

So to me this looks like someone has taken a 110 transplanted it on to a disco or rr and then not informed the DVLA about it. Am I right in thinking this or am i being over cautious?

Does anyone regonise the vehicle and if i were to buy it would i be in for a world of bother re VOSA, IVA insurance etc?

Cheers for you time

As it's being sold by a Land Rover salvage yard, they will clearly know a lot about the conversion but would rather not tell you :glare:

It will be a disco or rangie, but rather than use the id of the chassis, they are fudging it. Clearly the chassis number and vin tag will not match.

It could be a good car aside from that, but often home made cars made from bits of other cars might not be a great way to start off if you don't have a lot of experience with Landies - probably best to keep looking and leave this for someone else.

Cheers guys, very much what i thought. Shame though, it looked perfect for me just the right size!! There hardly seems to be any 100's for sale i suppose due to the effort involved in creating them. Oh well back to the search

See if you can get a photo of the chassis as there will probably be a section cut out and welded back up (10" lost).

Seems like hard work to me to take a 110, and tranpose the body panels onto a disco / RR chassis.... but then you'd probably get a 300tdi +R380 conversion in the package too

Imagine someone would have fun with a parts catalogue... reminds me of a Johnny Cash song (One Piece at a Time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM

If in doubt (any doubt... run)

Another way would be to get the chassis number, might have to go in person to get it/see for yourself if the chassis has been tampered with?

I found the decal just under the bonnet lip very interesting, and also remember a chat with another guy who owns an early 130(127) and the log book says 110 even tjough it was stretched, is it, could it be a genuine 100? Only visiting it in person would give a deffinitive answer.

I found the decal just under the bonnet lip very interesting, and also remember a chat with another guy who owns an early 130(127) and the log book says 110 even tjough it was stretched.

Yes I think that's fairly common on early 130's , I've got a C reg 130 and it say's 110 on the V5

Gary

If it is CWS I would just run away anyways. Not a company with good before or after sales service in my experience. I am very local to them so know them quite well, but they are a last resort for spare parts for sure.

If the V5 doesn't come back as the correct vehicle be very cautious.

Subject to correction as far as i am aware there are no 100" station wagons from new so this would be a conversion.

Any conversion which involves cutting the chassis (major part at least) SHOULD have a IVA / SVA certificate to go with it (if the rest of the bits are origional it may keep its origional reg), providing shortening is all that was done passing the IVA would be easy they would just check the welding is to a good standard.

As someone else mentioned there is a good chance this has been built up on a range rover or Disco chassis (as per "A 4x4 is born"), nothing wrong with that but the reg then should follow the identity of the chassis i.e. it would be registered as a disco or Rangerover with a body conversion, again nothing wrong with that if it has been done well.

Having a vehicle where the paperwork and vehicle don't match up is potentially dangerous for the wallet (no suggestion here it is anything criminal but the possibility exists), also insurance can be an issue as they will look up the details from DVLA and if they aren't the same as what you tell them alarm bells will ring and many mainstream insurers will walk away, there is also the chance that if you do get pulled by the police for any reason and they start looking closely and details don't match they might impound the vehicle until they can establish correct details / identity and potentially ownership.

My personal dealings with CWS haven't been the best for reasons I will not post on a public forum but PM if you want to know.

Right back for some more advise if people are willing, hopefully at some point i'll be able to contribute something useful back at some point!!!

Been to see a 90 today really smart, well looked after no rust in the usual places but it didnt click with me, think its the colour (sounds daft i know) what do people think http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181303168253

Another one has reappeared, in torquay so would want to be sure pretty much before going to see it, i prefer the look but think it might be a touch over priced not too sure though http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291060342355

Once again cheers for your help guys

Don't know about the value, but the second one appears from the photos to have had money spent in places where it matters a little more, the first one looks like a shopping cart quite frankly, and if you want that, buy a freelander! :)

I like the little details on the second one as well, clearly been owned by an enthusiast rather than nailed together by a garage to sell to the states... (like the first one is... its why it's a soft top!)

Haha had a freelander, didn't really get along with it. To be fair the first one is owned by a family, they like it so fair play to them, but yeah i didnt really feel anything about it usually do with cars, I knew as soon as i saw my previous minis they were right. I think i prefer the second one but due to the distance need to make sure.

The 100 looks like a cut down 110 to me. Might well have been a SW but it would be easier to swap the body and NOT try and alter the doors....................They could have sold the SW body, doors and seats etc to pay for other stuff. Thats what I would have done !

The white 90 looks a bit bling to me, and the black and white effect looks carp IMO. A bit expensive you think ?

Last one looks a lot better, but a 200TDi in 1995 ?

The 100 looks like a cut down 110 to me. Might well have been a SW but it would be easier to swap the body and NOT try and alter the doors....................They could have sold the SW body, doors and seats etc to pay for other stuff. Thats what I would have done !

The white 90 looks a bit bling to me, and the black and white effect looks carp IMO. A bit expensive you think ?

Last one looks a lot better, but a 200TDi in 1995 ?

Yeah avoiding the first it seems like a can of worms, it's the third one that i think is possibly to expensive but just wanted some opinions on it

This sounds harsh but IMHO you are looking at totally the wrong kind of land rover.

Answering these questions will help greatly.....

Do you have any previous defender experience?

Do you want to carry out basic maintenance yourself?

Do you have a small area to work on one?

Do you have any tools to work on one?

What do you want to use the defender for?

Must you absolutely have every bit of tat bolted to it to begin with?

IMHO at 8k you could buy a td5 and spend £500 on a service and £500 on some wheels and tyres and £200 on an X pedal lock, everything else sort of falls into place as time goes on.

Will.

Edit to add, all the above land rovers are mongrels that have many many non standard parts and have been worked over massively this is all fine and well until you want to fix it or even modify it. If you have never done much with defenders it's a seriously steep curve.

Not at all, To be fair myself and a fellow collegue kept a defender running for 5 years so i'm happy working on them, plus i've owned two classic minis and worked on them. It's manily for going to work each day and for using at work on the site, plus some towing and occasional green laning. I agree with the tat point however i'm of the understanding it's cheaper to buy one with the bits already on if you can rather than adding them on seperatly.

I'm wary of the TD5 with the extra electronics on board, and the fact they seem more rust prone. after having a td4 freelander and suffering with engine niggles that could never be diagnosed.

But your adivce is sound. ideally i want a 90 in grey, with good body/chassis (preferbly a soft top) and as i say so far have only being looking at tdi's.