Less likely to die in a Defender..

SteveG

in a study, published in the Times today, that has monitored two vehicle crashes between 2000 and 2004, the Defender along with the Landcruiser, Shogun, Trooper and Mercedes ML came out with the lowest percentages of fatalities at 1%.

Now if all the safety concious readers out there now go out and buy one of the above it's going to be diminishing returns as they then start crashing in to each other, but hey ho it's better than being in a Micra which was 10% ;););)

0,,351595,00.jpg

Cheers

Steve

thats why I have a cage and a really big tubular winch bumper, just to give me that little extra help when the school runners come crashing and abashing about. :D

in a study, published in the Times today, that has monitored two vehicle crashes between 2000 and 2004, the Defender along with the Landcruiser, Shogun, Trooper and Mercedes ML came out with the lowest percentages of fatalities at 1%.

Now if all the safety concious readers out there now go out and buy one of the above it's going to be diminishing returns as they then start crashing in to each other, but hey ho it's better than being in a Micra which was 10% ;););)

Cheers

Steve

The only type of crash where a standard Defender may have an advantage would be a square head on collision with a light/ medium saloon car, where the chassis would bear the brunt of the impact.Even so the cramped cabin and close proximity of front seats to bulkhead doesn't give much survival space in a heavy shunt. In side on collisions or incidents involving rollovers,Defenders flimsy unbraced aluminium panels and narrow spaced chassis rails offer virtually no protection to the vehicles occupants.

I have handled enough Defenders whose bodywork have disintegrated during relatively minor rollovers, to put them way down the bottom of my list of vehicles to have an accident in.

Bill.

The only type of crash where a standard Defender may have an advantage would be a square head on collision with a light/ medium saloon car, where the chassis would bear the brunt of the impact.Even so the cramped cabin and close proximity of front seats to bulkhead doesn't give much survival space in a heavy shunt. In side on collisions or incidents involving rollovers,Defenders flimsy unbraced aluminium panels and narrow spaced chassis rails offer virtually no protection to the vehicles occupants.

I have handled enough Defenders whose bodywork have disintegrated during relatively minor rollovers, to put them way down the bottom of my list of vehicles to have an accident in.

Bill.

i think the issue here is regarding 2 car crashes.

and for the most part normal cars wil tend to go under a defender, thus making it safer. the chassis also helps at this level as its the part of the car that's giong to be hit, not the bodywork.

any hit above the chassis though and i dont fancyyour chances.

side impact may be abit nasty also if the other car doesn't go fully under. paper thin doors and floor coupled with outriggers more likely to puncture something than fend it off will also leave you ain a pretty bad state.

despite the protection of a ladder chassis, i'll take a heavy crash in something large and modern please.

i was lucky enough to walk away from a near head on in a 90 truck cab some years ago.

we'd been doing some repairs to a milking parlour for the company that a was subbing to.

we'd been sent up on the mendips (not far from lambs lair) and were returning when a lorry forced the driver of the 90 onto the grass.

As it span round we collected 3 cars in total. must of had a combined speed of 70+mph but it all happened very slowly.

the chassis and front axle took all the impact and the off side front wheel was under the seat box nearly.

we didn't have our seat belts on meaning the driver cut his nose on the windcreen and i hurt my wrist bracing myself using the dash and the top lh corner of the cab.

the 90 still started and drove off the road!

no body was seriously hurt in the other cars due to the first one taking most of the impact.

i'm glad i was in the 90 as the other cars went underneath and we all walked away.

Side protection is needed the most on a 90/110 an your very close to the door glass etc.

There is no mention of the speed of crashes or the type of road here. If I had to make a guess then I would suggest that the avarage Mondeo does a higher percentage of it's total miles on the motorway than a Defender and so, if it crashes then it wil be at high speed. Defenders on the other hand, spend their time pottering about the countryside. They might have occasional bumps with other cars but for the most part this will involve taking the mirrors off in country lanes. Just my guess.

Chris

Trust me, you do NOT want to roll a Defender at speed, especially a 130 with a canvas back. Here are a couple of examples of why:

DSCN1559001.jpg

DSCN1557001.jpg

P4100030.jpg

Amazingly nobody was hurt in either!

The top half of a Defender has all the strength of an oversized Coke can and crumples remarkably like one when you sit 2 tons on it.

Trust me, you do NOT want to roll a Defender at speed, especially a 130 with a canvas back. Here are a couple of examples of why:

DSCN1559001.jpg

DSCN1557001.jpg

P4100030.jpg

Amazingly nobody was hurt in either!

The top half of a Defender has all the strength of an oversized Coke can and crumples remarkably like one when you sit 2 tons on it.

The Americans had the right idea with Defenders, forcing LandRover to fit roll cages to all vehicles sold there.

Other countries should follow suit. Defenders structural integrity is a disgrace.

Bill.