Fixes for the plough?

Mongrel

Are there any modifications to make the Discovery tow bar any less plough like in its ability to dig in and scoop up huge amounts of soil and stone?

I am toying with the idea of taking an angle grinder to it in order to remove all excess, and then welding a plate between the end plate and side arms. The thinking being that WHEN it comes into contact with something solid again, it may act more like a skid than an anchor and hopefully wont fill up with 20 kilos of wet clay and flint again!

I don't really want to do away with the tow bar as I do use it, but if the only answer is to take it off every time I want to play...then I need to work out a quick fit (de)mounting system.

Thoughts?

Southdown do one that is removable, I think, though not sure if it is still available. I've got the equivalent product on my 110. Probably best gloss over the fitting, but once it is on there it's excellent and gives the best of both worlds.

Southdown no longer do skid plates - unless you can sweet talk Dave into it - but Guardian do.

What sort of two hitch is it? There are two types of tow hitch fitted from factory and one is capable of mods that should see no MoT issues... Remember the good old MoT now covers tow hitches; and as Ralph pointed out there's rules! Pre August 1989 the rules don't apply - but that sort of rules out Disco's

I had a southdown on my disco and a guardian on my 110 both excellent and basically the same. Southdown used to do a plate that fitted in place of the removable hitch that had a recovery point but to be honest I never had one I've used just the pin through the holes with a strop round with no problems there is a slim risk of bending the pin but you need to try really hard and they are cheap to replace.

Mike

I'm sure it's '89 - but only because I can get away with it on my 110. So I might be wrong

There's some nice stuff on that website - I may be ringing them up in the near future for some parking protection for The Wife

Dave, neither of our wives park, they abandon, dump.....

Hope the buggers don't read this or I'm a dead man...