Safari Snorkel rain question.

I am about to install a safari Snorkel.

I cannot figure out how its going to stop the rain from being force fed into the engine.

We have really heavy rain in The Bahamas, are these not designed for rain?

Thanks.

Think Proffesor Kamm theory here. More rain will be sucked in :glare:

Care to elaborate? I'm intrigued...

It's quite common to see comp safari vehicles with snorkel tops turned backwards to stop the engine ingesting large quantities of water thrown up by hitting puddles at speed. I see no reason why the theory wouldn't work for rain (unless driving very fast in reverse).

In theory the rain carries on until it hits the back of the intake then runs down the back of it and out through the ducts. I never had problems with water getting as far as the filter when I had one on a Disco. The Southdown one it replaced was a very different story.

Care to elaborate? I'm intrigued...

It's quite common to see comp safari vehicles with snorkel tops turned backwards to stop the engine ingesting large quantities of water thrown up by hitting puddles at speed. I see no reason why the theory wouldn't work for rain (unless driving very fast in reverse).

Se what you can find out about Professor Kamm. Certainly the Cooper and the Ferrari sports racing cars used his theory.

Cut the back vertical and the pressure helps push the car forward.

Air changes direction quickly, water doesn't. So turning it backwards will be fine. Leaving it forwards will probably be fine too, as above the snorkel is supposed to be designed to shed water out.

There will technically be an impact on performance due to the extra intake tract length/restriction but you are unlikely to notice it on a Land Rover of all things.

Just make sure you don't make the usual mistake and seal up the drain valve in the air filter housing and you'll be fine

It's no problem sealing the drain bung up you just have to remember to drain it once in a while. Lets face it the standard valve is rubbish and has been known to let water in when wading this is why I have the mushroom type tops.

Mike

I've never had a problem with the standard drain valve, mind you I dont make a habbit of driving through creeks that go above the bonnet but the rain we experience here in tropical Oz is quite another story, and even though its been up to within an inch of the filter I've not experienced any carryover into the turbo intake - and by the way thats a LOT of water.

Mike, I 'd agree with Boydie on this - never had a problem with the valves - I just renew them when they get tired. Makes it nice and simples. I'd like to stick to mushroom tops but there's been a spate of thieving round here recently so I'm using an old Southdown one at the moment

I don't think the Safari snorkel is particularly susceptible to rain - any water ingested at high speed will enter the intake and hit the back of the head unit, running down and collecting above the neck of the upright section. The head has four drains to let this water out, all well below the neck. At low road speed, the rain will either drop clear of the overhang of the intake grille or fall on the lower face of the intake tract, again collecting in the base of the head and draining through the four exits to the outside of the neck.

Any water that does make it past that will collect in the bottom of the original wing intake. As long as you didn't glue it closed (deemed optional in the instructions), then any water will drop out the bottom of its drain valve whenever as the engine is at low rpm (the valve is sucked shut as intake flow increases, but at low rpm it can hang open).

You only need to rotate the head to face aft in particularly bad conditions, though there is probably only a small performance penalty at high speed by doing so and noe at all at medium or low speeds, so it could be set like that permanently with no ill-effect.

• 2 months later...

Hi - I have just had one fitted to my 95 ex MOD 110 (part of a recent 300tdi transplant - more to follow).

I have hear tell of a special pipe that sits between the snorkel and the air filter box which has a 'bucket' on the bottom to allow the collection of any water with a value on it - assuming this value clears the water as it builds up.

I thought it was just a straight pipe - anyone heard of this or is it just another 'Red Herring' - I seem to be on a large 'fish' diet at the moment !

Thanks in advance.

Taffia.