Crawler Gears

Anderzander

As fantastic as it is, the Ashcroft Underdrive is beyond my budget ...

So I emailed M R Automotive about the MaxiDrive gears - however they are 1545 aus$ + tax + shipping .... So also quite pricey

So, back in Sept last year I emailed Ashcroft to ask if they might consider producing gears and Dave replied to say - nothing in production but looking at it. I've mailed every 3 months since to ask if there was any progress - with the most recent reply saying no plans - just the under drive.

So - probably done to death - but is there any other alternative ?

I use 1st and 2nd low range and almost never 3rd, 4th, and 5th.

So the idea that 3rd becomes say where 5th is - so there is no overlap between low and high range - and you get 2 new lower gears - is hugely appealing, just perhaps unaffordable ?

If you can source a good used Borg Warner model 1339 Quadratrac High/ low reduction unit from an Automatic Jeep CJ7 or Wagoneer, I may have a solution for you in the coming months. I won't be offering it commercially, but if the one I'm adapting to an LT230 is successful I will post up details on how to do it and what components need to be made or modified. I have had a 1339 on Wildfings Series Transfercase for the past 15 years, and have also fitted one to the back of an LT95 about 10 years ago with no problems. The LT230 adaption is a little different, and will require a smaller Series drum handbrake or a X type disc handbrake because the 1339 planetary unit is larger than the Ashcroft unit.

Thank you all.

Bill - I'd love to hear what you do if you don't mind sharing it with me.

Dan and Dann - I'll head over to Ashcrofts calculator and run some numbers. I had sort of overlooked the diffs on the basis that I only wanted to change low range - but it's worth investigating, especially in conjunction with a higher geared high range.

I think my naïveté was that there may have been a set of gears from 'such and such' that could be machined to fit. I'm sure though it would be all over the net if it were the case.

I did a bit of maths and even with a 1.003 box, 4.75 diffs would not give me a high enough motorway gear

Obviously if this is not a consideration for you, 4.75 is the first port of call then choose your high range accordingly.

Only 33" dude

I'm pretty sure cos I was originally looking for a 1.003 box and then did some gear ratio checking and found out that 4.1 gears and 1.2 box was the one for me

Was a little while ago but that's how it panned out, for some reason :P

I seem to remember off the top of my head....

1.2 t-box and 3.54 diffs = stock

1.4 t-box and 3.54 diffs and 33" tyres = close to stock, but higher low range (obviously)

1.2 t-box and 4.11 diffs and 33" tyres = close to stock, also closer low range to stock

1.0 t-box and 4.7 diffs and 33" tyres = close to stock, but lower low range

Just checked, 1.0t-box/4.7/33" is only 80 rpm at 80mph different in fifth.

1.2t-box/4.11/33" is 150rpm higher at 80mph, so not really anything in it :D

I seem to remember off the top of my head....

1.2 t-box and 3.54 diffs = stock

1.4 t-box and 3.54 diffs and 33" tyres = close to stock, but higher low range (obviously)

1.2 t-box and 4.11 diffs and 33" tyres = close to stock, also closer low range to stock

1.0 t-box and 4.7 diffs and 33" tyres = close to stock, but lower low range

Just checked, 1.0t-box/4.7/33" is only 80 rpm at 80mph different in fifth.

1.2t-box/4.11/33" is 150rpm higher at 80mph, so not really anything in it :D

1.2 transfer box is for RRs, not Defender. However, using 4.71 diffs (cheaply available and can be converted to 24 spline) with a 1.2 box and 33" tyres would work well, and would be cheaper, more efficient, quieter and more robust and than an underdrive.

• Like 1

Thats how i run mine 1.003 TC and 4.7diffs, low is briliiant.

I also know of an lt230 1.4 with maxidrive low gears installed + 1 piece center diff cross for sale, but its here in Malta.

G

1.2 transfer box is for RRs, not Defender. However, using 4.71 diffs (cheaply available and can be converted to 24 spline) with a 1.2 box and 33" tyres would work well, and would be cheaper, more efficient, quieter and more robust and than an underdrive.

What do you mean by "more robust than an underdrive" ? I wasn't aware of any weakness with the Ashcroft underdrive, and I would have thought them to be very much longer lived than any 4.7 ish Rover type diff.

My figures on the Ashcroft site came out as:

3.54 diff 1.4 LT230

Low first: 43.40:1 giving 10mph at 4709 rpm

Fifth high: 03.84:1 giving 70mph at 2919 rpm

3.54 diff 1.2 LT230

Low first: 43.40:1 giving 10mph at 4709 rpm

Fifth high: 03.33:1 giving 70mph at 2530 rpm

4.75 diff 1.2 LT230

Low first: 58.28:1 giving 10mph at 6318 rpm

Fifth high: 04.47:1 giving 70mph at 3394 rpm

This is with 31" tyres.

The first change obviously just showing the in improved road manners with the disco box.

The different diffs put low box nicely down:

3.54 & 1.2

1 43.40:1

2 25.06:1

3 16.42:1

4.75 & 1.2

1 58.24:1

2 33.63:1

3 22.04:1

But the 70 mph speed is almost 1000 rpm up.