A Defender To Use On Ascension Island Help/advice Please

Getting a few negatives re the spares situ for the 200tdi ? so how does the 300Tdi cope as far as cooling is concerned or is there a mod that you would do to a 300 used in a hotter climate. Ascension average daily temp is about 80F and note today is 86F. Or in old money well warm.

Trafman

with a radiator in good condition , and a viscous fan similar condition , they have no trouble running at 7450kg train weight in 45C , as i did it regularly in Australia . as mentioned discovery a good option , but more elctrickery things to fail !

Id suggest keep it simple.

Either a 300tdi defender 110 or a ex military soft-top 110 with a 2.5 na. The island is small so the lack of power with the na really will not be an issue. You also would get alot of ex army vehicle for what you're looking at spending as the 2.5 na is considered too slow for many to use in the UK.

Looking at wiki weather it seems to sit around 30oc maximum which will be fine in any standard defender/discovery. I had my 300tdi disco in just over 40 in Auz and it was fine, even though it had 275,000 miles on it! Im sure aircon would be nice which means a discovery would be another option as it is less common in Defenders (certainly of 300tdi era).

Ex-army land rovers usually come with the tough michelin tyres which if you get a good set will last for years. Id even recommend them on another vehicle as usually they're 235/85/r16 or 7.50 which is the standard army size. Otherwise a set of BFGoodrich ATs would do just fine. Send him with a brand new spare too.

A comprehensive spares kit would also be a very good idea as if he has the parts to hand, he can get someone else to fit them. Anything larger, as you said can be got from home, but he just has to wait. Id consider a full set of belts, new alternator and starter, 3 fuel filters and 2 airfilters, 4 wheel bearings with hub seals, 4 ujs, cooling hoses with some jubilee clips, head gasket and water pump. There may be others things that Ive forgotten.

Lastly, FIT A LOW WATER ALARM and explain to him what it tells him! These seem to be nearly standard fitment in Australia and it saved my bacon in my disco when she blew a water hose. As a part of this, not wanting to sound like a prat, but does he know the importance of checking oil and water regularly, if not daily? Alot of people don't consider this important but as he could take a older car away it could save him lots of headaches.

Hope that helps, Hugh.

For remote area use I would go for 200 Tdi every time. But age does weary them and the years condemn. Especially with lack of oil changes and rubbish oil filters.

300 Tdis are OKish but have a poorly designed cooling system. The water pump either leaks or lets go and you only have to run them a couple of minutes like that and the cylinder head will be toast. I know you are not trusting your life to it like if you were crossing a desert alone and with no communication, but its not worth the hassle if you cannot quickly fix it.

A 200 Tdi with regular oil changes and GOOD filters...........even more important with the diesel filter and timing belt service will go on, and on, and on.

Or a 3.5 petrol V8 on SU carbs, if the milage is low and petrol available and not too expensive.

Fairly inexpensive spares kit would be good, as would putting a few miles on it here before it is shipped out.

As others have said, look at what the locals have and use..................but remember always what my late father told me.

"Everything is reliable. Until it breaks down. As anything that is mechanical surely will"

IT may be I look out for vehicle with a rebuilt 200Tdi engine or are there any good rebuild companies out there ? maybe my next bit of homework.

Also get sensible feedback that a 300Tdi is fine as long as you look after the cooling side of things. Plenty advice to chew over so many thanks to all who have given such valuable thoughts.

Trafman

Turner seem to get the most recommendations but there are others. There's one in Rugby who's done work for two friends, I've no personal link with him. Want to go and talk to him about my spare engine actually....

Interestingly and by the by, some time ago there was a thread about 200's and the lack of parts, and a couple of comments about Turners fitting 300 head's to 200's because you can't get spares....Turners then turned up to say they didn't, and as far as they knew it wasn't possible!

If you're buying a complete rebuilt TDi it's worth considering the 2.8 TGV lump brand new instead, although you may need a good supply of drivetrain spares with it.

MMMMM TGV, always wanted one! although with the prices it may be worth going down the TD5 route as theyre similar price for a decent second hander and very tuneable.

although the TGV is almost a straight swap with a fair amount of parts commonality for 200 and 300 models

2.8TGV ? , I keep getting info to check out but my knowledge is growing by the day,

2.8TGV = updated and raised capacity 300Tdi which is sufficiently powerful to put the standard drivetrain under a bit too much strain for long life.

Rather expensive to buy new, £6,495+VAT http://www.mdengineering.co.uk/index.php?act=category&cat_id=1

I have a 200Tdi in my 1989 rebuild.

I'd suggest a 110 hard top with whatever engine is fitted in the best condition vehicle you can see for the money. A 110 hardtop will normally be cheaper than a 90, but if it's a farmer's or builder's hack likely to get rather manky rather quickly.