Old 4wd mag one with the topless women

reads90

Ok one for the oldies. What was the name of the off road mag that used to have topless women on landies and other 4wd in the back.

Yeah Yeah it was an off road mag honest.

Used to buy it all the time. I was in it once , but for the life of me i can't remeber what it was called

"Off Road International" ?????

I had a copy, of a rather large lady on the bonnet of a Zuki I think.

Hairy armpits - yukkk :blink:

I think you are right andy. and i did not say they were nice topless women :lol:

Was before the days of LRO.

i knew i was not going mad,

I think it was just called '4x4'.

Interbational OffRoader was a bit later and came from the LRM stable.

Could have been ( or become ) 4x4 Driver.

IIRC it was edited by John Carroll ( ex LRW and every other offroad mag! ).

I remember the one with the hairy armpits - do you remember the one with the girl in sunglasses in the back of a Hilux? Had that one on the workshop wall for ages..... :blink:

It also used to publish green lane routemaps including extracts from the OS map applicable - turned the Brecon Beacons into an Offroad traffic jam!

David

You're right Chris, I think Colin Dawson was involved, along with TEW 78X.....

Off Road and 4 Wheel Drive is still about but I think it is now called 4x4 - the adventure starts here - or something like that. It is full of spec sheets of soft roaders though not what it used to be....

All this talk of old mags is making me feel old!!!!! Do you remember the 1st ever LRO with a picture of Capt. Mark Phillips on the cover??

David

Mag was 4x4 & Off Road Action which pre-dated 4x4 Driver.

Funnily enough I was talking about this subject with off-road motorsport photographer Gavin Lodge just the other day. Gavin worked on the mag , although alas, he didn't take the pics of the girl! Girl was intially the g'friend of the mag publisher. Later ones were models. Editor Russell Fisher hated the idea, but the publisher had the final say on what went into the mag. Publisher still owes Gavin Lodge £2000 so if anyone knows his whereabouts, get in touch!

So who remembers Overlander then ? The very first off-road mag in the UK set-up by David Bowyer, Brian Hartley and Mike Hallet. Mag went onto to become Off-Road and 4-Wheel Drive, known as 4x4 today. Still got my copies.

I've got a copy of said 4x4 Four-by-four off-road action

The first issue with the hairy 'pits in it March 1985 - cost me 99p !!

I've also got LRO No1 with the Captn.

I had a huge clear out of magazines a few months back, but I kept the first issues

I had a huge clear out of magazines a few months back, but I kept the first issues

That can't be the one I was thinking of then. I gradually got rid of all my old magazines during various house moves.

Ok one for the oldies. What was the name of the off road mag that used to have topless women on landies and other 4wd in the back.

Yeah Yeah it was an off road mag honest.

Used to buy it all the time. I was in it once , but for the life of me i can't remeber what it was called

It was '4x4'. I used to buy it at the time.....that must make me an oldy then!

Yes, some of the 'bodywork' displayed was not metal!

I think I have a few old copies lurking on the shed for, er, reference purposes you understand! ;)

Hmm. just off down the shed...Cheery Bye!

I have the first LRO but i thought it had the Queen on the front in a seris 3. Got it some where just need to unpack all my stuff to find it though