Winch off

MogLite

Okay its time to cut to the chase and see what all these winches we mess with can actually do.

Date: Sunday 19th November

What I reckon is a stout tree on flat ground and some vehicles to act as a dead weight to drag.

Cheesy - early morning sketch alert attatched.....

I've got a load cell that will measure pulling force up to 10,000lbs. As some winches should pull more than that, if we rig up a pulley block and place the load cell on one leg of the rig, we can get a better range of figures.

If we rig up a number of dead weight vehicles we can get a good almost repeatable pull scenario, just add more vehicles to cope with the more powerful winches.

We can do the pull for 25'

We can time it to get speed

We can get force from the load cell

We can measure current draw for electric winches (I've got a 600A DC clamp meter)

I've also go a thermocouple on my multimeter, so we could do hydraulic fluid temp or motor temp

The figures won't bear any representation to manufacturers figures, but they should be comparable on the day.

I want to get as many types of winches as possible everything from an X6 to Nige's hydraulic thing.

I'll collate the figures, write it up and publish it here and in the Shires newsletter.

There are no prizes (unless anyone want to donate any)

There is no cost for the winch off, but its being done at a Shires playday, so you'll have to be a Shires member, and cough up £20 for the play-day. But its a good site, so you'll have some fun for the rest of the day. If you aren't a member, we take new members in advance at £10 a year - no joining on the day

The rules - only plasma rope and at least 75' of it so we can do a 25' pulley block pull, no steel rope under any circumstance.

You must have a very strong point(s) on the front for the return, if I don't like the look of them, or your rope / hook / winch mount looks dodgy - you can't play.

The area will be cordon'd off with winch blankets on ropes and attatchment points etc - safety will be paramount.

So who is in ?

PM me or andrew@marshallsay.com me to reserve your place, as there is no point testing 5 identical 8274's.

Who is gonna bring a twin motor 8274 along ?

post-16-1161326150_thumb.jpg

There is no cost for the winch off, but its being done at a Shires playday, so you'll have to be a Shires member, and cough up £20 for the play-day.

just checkin, said 15 quid on shire website yesterday?

although i'm now getting this

Provider error '8000ffff'

Catastrophic failure

/includes/dbconnection.inc, line 7

someone should pay the bill? :blink:

just checkin, said 15 quid on shire website yesterday?

someone should pay the bill? :blink:

Thats spooky - I paid all the bills last night :ph34r: Dunno what is going on there :angry:

Its deffo £20 the rules have changed wrt to Bunny Lane as we have to supply a road-sweeper and pressure washers, hence the extra cost. The final plan was only agreed last night, website will get updated shortly.

You gonna come and play ?

Its deffo £20 the rules have changed wrt to Bunny Lane as we have to supply a road-sweeper and pressure washers, hence the extra cost. The final plan was only agreed last night, website will get updated shortly.

keeps the greenies happy

You gonna come and play ?

i will be there ;) although i'll probably be testing me winch on the v8 we're bringing along to get stuck :D

We can do the pull for 25'

We can time it to get speed

We can get force from the load cell

We can measure current draw for electric winches (I've got a 600A DC clamp meter)

I've also go a thermocouple on my multimeter, so we could do hydraulic fluid temp or motor temp

This is a good initiative B)

You could also measure the no load line recovery speed...............

This maybe a runner for me ............ Bunny lane is about 2 & a bit hours from here.

Next week I am off to test the winch on a 20 ton calibrated load cell.............so it would be interesting to compare numbers.

If Jim turns up .............. you are gonna need to read more than 600amps .......... anybody got a 1000amp clamp :D ?

After 'break the load cell tests' ............ reverting back to a single line pull for Ft/min measurements would make for more exciting watching ;)

Please ........ this is not critique ………….. just idea’s :)

Ian

Sorry chaps, Won't be able to make it.....

Got the minor inconvience of the other half giving birth around that date........

You can imagine the out come if was late cos "Testing winches"

As i said before, we will be testing after Christmas, when things have settled down abit :P

Regards

Jim :D

This is a good initiative B)

You could also measure the no load line recovery speed...............

This maybe a runner for me ............ Bunny lane is about 2 & a bit hours from here.

Next week I am off to test the winch on a 20 ton calibrated load cell.............so it would be interesting to compare numbers.

If Jim turns up .............. you are gonna need to read more than 600amps .......... anybody got a 1000amp clamp :D ?

After 'break the load cell tests' ............ reverting back to a single line pull for Ft/min measurements would make for more exciting watching ;)

Please ........ this is not critique ………….. just idea’s :)

Ian

Ian

Go on make the effort - you'll enjoy Bunny Lane :)

No load speed is easy - obviously.

Be good to compare numbers against Bowyers load-cell - mine is calibrated too, but there will be losses in the pulley block.

Bunny Lane has some great hills, if you want to winch race up them. If there is time we can set that up too.

Checked my pockets - fresh out of 1000A clamp meters :lol:

Andy

"The rules - only plasma rope and at least 75' of it so we can do a 25' pulley block pull, no steel rope under any circumstance."

Err why only HMPE rope? :huh: Under HSE guide lines I cannot use it as it is considered unsafe and not suitable for winch use in harsh work environment like forestry etc :) it is a TOTAL myth that HMPE rope is stronger than wire rope :rolleyes: it is only stronger than low grade fibre core wire ropes, this is a FACT, no ifs or buts :lol: but the HSE still rate for safety a “low grade fibre core wire rope” above any HMPE rope B)

Plasma 12 Strand Pulling Rope

p/n 08092015, 9mm, 17,500lb MBL

p/n 08092020, 11mm, 21,000lb MBL

p/n 08092025, 12mm, 31,300lb MBL

p/n 08092030, 14mm, 37,900lb MBL :blink:

Normal 2160 Grade wire ropes like Notor HP 35x7, 28x7 or Eurolift 40x7, Flexpack 34x7, 37x7 or Starlift 35x7 or many 100's of others types and makes.

10mm, 30,570lb MBL

12mm, 34,280lb MBL

13mm, 36,460lb MBL

14mm, 42,260lb MBL :D

And this isn’t including exotic wire ropes :P

Just to bad I won’t be able to make it with my P.T.O fairey 525, as I think I am working away + wouldn’t waste my cash on HMPE carp!!!!

b101uk

Ian

Go on make the effort - you'll enjoy Bunny Lane :)

No load speed is easy - obviously.

Be good to compare numbers against Bowyers load-cell - mine is calibrated too, but there will be losses in the pulley block.

Bunny Lane has some great hills, if you want to winch race up them. If there is time we can set that up too.

Checked my pockets - fresh out of 1000A clamp meters :lol:

Andy

Ther must be a sparky in the Shire membership I know there is a few plumbers

"The rules - only plasma rope and at least 75' of it so we can do a 25' pulley block pull, no steel rope under any circumstance."

Err why only HMPE rope? :huh: Under HSE guide lines I cannot use it as it is considered unsafe and not suitable for winch use in harsh work environment like forestry etc :) it is a TOTAL myth that HMPE rope is stronger than wire rope :rolleyes: it is only stronger than low grade fibre core wire ropes, this is a FACT, no ifs or buts :lol: but the HSE still rate for safety a “low grade fibre core wire rope” above any HMPE rope B)

b101uk

Yeah, yeah, may be so ……………….. :D:P:D

But you cannot be 100% on the quality and well being of the wire rope on each winch tested and not everbody is gonna have a valid test cert for their wire. :rolleyes:

Synthetic rope will be a much safer option in this environment. ;)

Just like the software programmers say ………… too many variables. :lol:

Ian

Andy,

Count me in :D:D:D:D:D:D:lol:

I have been waitng to seriously F*** U* try your cell block for some time now

Need time, map etc

I am a shires member so ok there

Will try to bring Vid camera and tripod, can bring HD Kitty Grip too and loads of High rated (8 Tonne Shackles etc) that happy for everyone to use to up the safety levels ?

Nige :D "Bring It On Silly Oiley Winch" Entrant