Thinking about making a trailer...

Tetsu0san

So, I STILL have my old Discovery sitting in the back garden, minus most of the interior and minus the engine and gearbox. And it's got me thinking about what I could do with it apart from weighing it in. And I think I need a trailer...

So, has anyone ever converted a Discovery to a trailer? I have seen plenty of Series landy's done like this but I thought a Discovery might be a nice thing to do.

Comments welcome

Hmmm !!

Yes you will see plenty of those conversions. Are they legal ? Since about 1979 it was deemed that using any second hand/ used car parts was was illegal.

Have you asked VOSA ? ?

I didn't know it was illegal. That is a very interesting point and no, I haven't contacted them. Maybe it will be a project that just won't get started...

Just stick an "ON TOW" sign in the back window...................... :i-m_so_happy:

Bl**dy hell, what will the fun police think of next to stop you doing anything ?

I did this with a Bedford HA van years ago and it worked a treat, Mind you, to buy a trailer back then was relatively expensive IIRC, and this was a far cheaper option !

Building a trailer so that it adheres to the new test is, apparently, not that difficult, and if you leave the lights as are then that part will obviously pass.

I've just built a little tear drop trailer, but luckily the test for home built little caravans comes in a bit later this year.

Gary

Yes I mike I read all of your build, very inspiring, I'm limited by my licence to 750kg, don't think my wife and daughter would appreciate sleeping in a trialer!

There was a topic running on trailer towing weights. The 750kg isn't exactly true, hopefully some one more knowledgeable will be along to clarify.

There was a topic running on trailer towing weights. The 750kg isn't exactly true, hopefully some one more knowledgeable will be along to clarify.

Cars

Category B

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).

You can also tow heavier trailers if the total weight of vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg.

Category B+E

You can tow with a vehicle train weight over 3.5t.

Over 3.5t for hire or reward needs a tacho afaik.

Cars

Category B

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).

You can also tow heavier trailers if the total weight of vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg.

Category B+E

You can tow with a vehicle train weight over 3.5t.

Over 3.5t for hire or reward needs a tacho afaik.

See I said some one would clarify, you can tow more behind a 90 than a 110.