200 tdi with 300 components

Hi folks,

New tot the forum, but been reading ( and learning) a lot since I discoverd the site.

I have an 1985 90, in which I retrofitted a Disco 200 tdi whilst retaining the original LT77 box.

As we all know it is a tight fit, but can be done.

For my total rebuilt project in 2007, I would like to move the turbo higher up and modifying the exhaust.

Reason for this is that when the turbo sits higher up, it is less vulnerable for water adn dirt and for the exhaust, I can make a better solution than the truck exhaust flexible which I am currently using.

Somebody in Belgium told me that I can fit the exhaust collector of a 300tdi on my 200 tdi block, whilst retaining the top inlet piece. I like the view of a 200 tdi inlet and would like to keep it there and then.

Is this true? Can it be done? Or is it a complete transplant of exhaust collector AND inlet piece from the 300?

Any comments (and piccies!) would be a major bonus in planning....

Thanks already in advance.

Roel

because firstly they aint made any more - so I was told by a LR parts dealer, and not many people would sell just that part of the engine as once thats gone the engine is pretty much useless. unless you convert it to a disco lump.

answer to the original question - - not a clue.

sorry

Hi Roel,

Why not source the inlet/exhaust/turbo from a defender 200tdi?

REgards,

Grant

Somebody in Belgium told me that I can fit the exhaust collector of a 300tdi on my 200 tdi block, whilst retaining the top inlet piece. I like the view of a 200 tdi inlet and would like to keep it there and then.
So I can use the inlet manifold from the 200 and also use the exhaust manifold of the 300?

That's exactly as per a Discovery type 200Tdi, so it won't be any different from what you have now.

the Defender 200Tdi high mounted turbo won't fit with the Discovery/300Tdi style air inlet chamber as these will need to occupy the same space on the left side of the engine, only way to get a high mounted turbo is to find & fit the Defender 200Tdi manifolds complete.

picture below is a overhead view of my Defender type 200Tdi engine, compare the turbo location with your Discovery type 200Tdi's air intake chamber location & you'll see the problem.

IMG_0857.jpg

Edited by western

Walfy was looking to do something similar to his disco 200 a while ago but hit some problems. he wanted to fit the 300 turbo to his and the stumbling block was (i believe) that the 300 manifold fouled the water pump and therefore you need to change the timing cover, or something similar, drop him a PM, hes prob on the prairie at the moment so may be a bit late getting back to you.

I can't see any reason to swap the bits, as I said 200Tdi Disco engines & all 300Tdi's a virtually externally the same, the turbo & manifols are in the same location, so I can't see any benefit of all the proposed work.

Edited by western

i think the turbo is the same on 200/300. both run Garret T2s dont they? just as said above different boosts. 200s run 12psi, 300s run 15psi.

i've heard the 200 manifolds are more efficent, but that could have been on discos i cant remember now.

i think the turbo is the same on 200/300. both run Garret T2s dont they? just as said above different boosts. 200s run 12psi, 300s run 15psi.

i've heard the 200 manifolds are more efficent, but that could have been on discos i cant remember now.

Believe they are both Garrett but different part #s but are probably internally v similar. Boost pressures are as you have quoted.

Walfy was looking to do something similar to his disco 200 a while ago but hit some problems. he wanted to fit the 300 turbo to his and the stumbling block was (i believe) that the 300 manifold fouled the water pump and therefore you need to change the timing cover, or something similar, drop him a PM, hes prob on the prairie at the moment so may be a bit late getting back to you.

The problem I had was that I sourced an uprated water cooled turbo to fit to my Disco lump. As it was designed to fit a 90 setup I needed to move the turbo to the high position. Which then meant I had to source a 90 front cover setup. I even went to the lenghts of buying another 200 Disco lump to play around with and get it setup before I did the work to my car.

Unfortuanately work got in the way and I've ben in Canada for the last 6 mths. But I'm back in the country in a couple of weeks so will resume again.

Any ideas or help will be appreciated