Defender Wings removal

Something like this:

Undo bonnet stay and lift bonnet clear

undo slam panel bolts

undo front bolts to chassis around the area of the bottom.

Take the arches off so you can get between the inner and outer wings.

Then need to get between the two for the row of bolts up the front edge of the bulkhead.

Undo the bolt or two on each side that hold the top of the wing to the bulkhead.

Undo the 2 screws (two at the back) on each inner wing.

Wiring.... can't remember where the connectors are off the top of my head.

The above is also ignoring stuff like the PAS bottle etc which is attached to the wings.

In addition to above...

Remove grill, two bolts inside at top of either side also one bolt further down. Top radiator brackets are bolted onto wings too. Inner wing will have two large self tappers onto bulkhead bracket, and stay from bulkhead footwell onto lower inner lip of wing.

Wiring loom is clipped onto the inner wing and is accessible after removing the rubber arches (plastic expanding rivets), it will be bullet connectors so unplug the loom as necessary including the side repeaters. The air inlet duct from the outer wing into the engine bay restricts access a bit to the bulkhead to wing bolts, undo the screws and try to split at the joint if possible, this will allow you to move it about to get it the bolts.

After that you need to try and lift them up and over the turrets...ok on standard but a bit tight with heavy duty ones fitted. Getting them off is easy, refitting without scratching the nice new paint is the hard bit!

5A9AE314-7821-4AA9-A9A2-A1ECA80B9510_zps

The pic shows all the holes where it's bolted, and you'll see the slots at the bulkhead end for the 4 bolts

F899066D-4C32-401C-82D6-624F399FA9F9_zps

You can see along the top where the inner is bolted through the outer and upper skins there are 4 bolts...or hex screws and spire nuts depending on what they had lying about when it was built! You could remove the top/front and side to leave the inner wings but not the other way around...it's all got to come off.

DAC33958-E157-4519-83A4-0BCDEABDE87E_zps

This is the bare inner, I forgot there's also a bolt through the bulkhead bracket above the chassis rail

• Thanks 1

My wings are all new apart from the inners. The sides were £66 each plus delivery from SPLandrovers, the top/front (which LR refer to as a fender assembly were new from Landrover at £180 per side. Finding good relatively dent free wings on eBay was nigh on impossible

• 3 years later...

great stuff @Scotts90 for this, will be very useful also for me soon!

What's the benefit of painting the interior of the engine bay? Is it for rust prevention ? I am about to respray my Landy (no accident, just cosmetic) and I am wondering whether I should also do the bay whilst the car it' at the workshop - any input is appreciated! :)