OT Webcams

Troddenmasses

Do any of you technical chaps (or chapesses) know where I might get hold of a wireless camera (preferably infra red) that I could put into my chicken run at the bottom of the garden, and then attach something to my PC, so that I can have a webcam? I really don't know a great deal about this kind of thing, so any help would be gratefully received. I could google it if I knew what I was looking for :ph34r:

Are those eggloos any good? did you get the run aswell?

Yes - the design of them is brilliant, and the customer service is second to none. Quite a community has grown up around them, and they have their own forum. They are quite expensive, so you can't really justify them solely on the grounds of egg production, but we really wanted to get some chickens into our suburban garden. We couldn't justify setting a huge area of the garden aside for them, but these things are very compact. They come with the run attached which is fox proof. If you have any more than 2 chickens, you really need to be letting them out of the run for quite a bit of the time - that's why we only went for 2.

on pheasant pens we bring the skirts out by 12" and peg them - tend to find when the dinner bell is rung for Mr Charles a smart one will dig back from the wire and tunnel under the mesh, I guess with well fed suburban Basils they might be a bit more lazy? but I'd hate you to wake up to a pile of feathers :(

interesting bit of kit though - good luck with the eggs! B)

I made my chicken hut out of a dozen old pallets and some fibre-cement roofing sheet. Still solid after 5 years stood on a welsh hillside. I have a movable mesh fence in the orchard and make 100% sure the chucks are shut in at night. Not yet lost one to monsieur Renard. My sheepdog however did kill all 10 of my first lot when I didn't take him green laning with me on one occaision. Lesson learnt. Rover is always with me now and the last chucks are still there and laying well even after 2 years. BTW we get the chucks free from a local organic egg producer when they cull all the hens off at the end of the laying season.

those 2 chickens will absolutely trash your garden till it is a quagmire

we had Six one in 1/2 acre they made the lawns into mud pits and they were moved regularly and well looked after as val only had organic feed and purchased fresh veg for them every other day.

I hated having chickens/bluddy nuisance to look after.

sold the electric fence and gave the rest back to the original supplier chickens/run/house the bluddy lot and was glad to see the back of them

I would avoid most of the wireless web cams on the market - most are complete rubbish. Almost the only exception is a Panasonic BL-C30 which appears to do what it says on the tin (box).

It is fairly expensive however. It does have a pan/tilt thing built in though.

If this is too expensive, just go for one of the 2.4Ghz cameras & receivers. Down side with these is they are totally insecure. Anyone with a receiver can watch whatever you are watching. Maybe get Mrs T to wear a mask?

Si

those 2 chickens will absolutely trash your garden till it is a quagmire

we had Six one in 1/2 acre they made the lawns into mud pits and they were moved regularly and well looked after as val only had organic feed and purchased fresh veg for them every other day.

I hated having chickens/bluddy nuisance to look after.

sold the electric fence and gave the rest back to the original supplier chickens/run/house the bluddy lot and was glad to see the back of them

When I was a nipper we had about 20 in 100,000 acres and they didn't make much mess at all :)

As long as they didn't get into the veg garden....

This was usually followed by the following things/events:

Father

12 bore shotgun

Shouting

Sound of gunfire

Large puff of feathers

Less eggs

:)

....and roast chicken :lol: ?

Nige

No.

They are a bit crunchy when full of No. 1 shot...... hard on the teeth!

Well rump steak is anyway (broadly similar circumstances except that the steak - while still wearing legs - made the hole through the hedge rather than finding one that was already there, oh and there were less feathers involved) so I assume chicken will be the same :unsure: