New car tax rules - buying a car

daveturnbull

Last week we had a VOSA van cruising round our carpark at work (it's private property), I guess they have a camera linked up to the computer.

The guy in one of the units has had a Range Rover parked outside for ages and the VOSA guys start to fit a clamp to it.

Owner appears and there's lots of arm waving going on! Turns out it's a cat C write off so he doesn't have the V5. No V5 means he can't SORN. He can't get the V5 until it's had a VIC check. He can't do that until he has had it MOT'd which he can't do till it's repaired!

It took a while but eventually they removed the clamp, guess the VOSA employees don't know the rules either!

Last week we had a VOSA van cruising round our carpark at work (it's private property), I guess they have a camera linked up to the computer.

The guy in one of the units has had a Range Rover parked outside for ages and the VOSA guys start to fit a clamp to it.

Owner appears and there's lots of arm waving going on! Turns out it's a cat C write off so he doesn't have the V5. No V5 means he can't SORN. He can't get the V5 until it's had a VIC check. He can't do that until he has had it MOT'd which he can't do till it's repaired!

It took a while but eventually they removed the clamp, guess the VOSA employees don't know the rules either!

And its private property!

When this came around all I could think was "Government scam" !!!!

Sorry, but when you can cancel insurance policies and get a complete to the exact days refund from the broker(and that was some 10yrs ago the last time I did that!!) But the all powerful UK GOV can't possibly use such antiquated programmes to be honest with the public and only charge them for what they use, nothing more, nothing less.

Sorry, but when you can cancel insurance policies and get a complete to the exact days refund from the broker(and that was some 10yrs ago the last time I did that!!) But the all powerful UK GOV can't possibly use such antiquated programmes to be honest with the public and only charge them for what they use, nothing more, nothing less.

Really? The last insurance cancellation policy I read (which was quite a few years ago) did a pro-rata refund based on number of months left and if it was less than 3 months you got zilch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I realise this is a bit of a thread revival, but I thought I should just share a small trap into which I have fallen. I decided to buy my daughter's car from her, and it has been parked on my drive for some time. On 31st Dec, we SORNed it so she would get back January-onwards VED. On 1st January I transferred ownership online. So far so good. However when I came to tax it, the web site wouldn't let me, even though I tried to use the 12 digit number on the V5C/2 green slip. The reason quoted was that a transaction (SORN or tax, in this case SORN) was going through. It advised this might be circumvented by going to a post office. But there haven't been any of those open until today. DVLA weren't even answering the phone till today - well they were but to say no-one was there. I rang them today and they said they were unable to do anything - I had to wait 5 working days so that would takes into next week sometime. I haven't tried the post office route yet.

I think this is just a cheap scam to get paid twice for the same month's tax. There is no warning of this, nor is there any way of enquiring as to whether the vehicle is in this 'purdah' period, so if you go to buy a recently SORNed vehicle you may not be able to tax it online. 

I have asked DVLA why!

Nigel

You can tax it at the Post office , , the system is flawed though, last motor I bought mid month , would not let me sorn it , as i waited a week and previous owner had sent v5 in , when new v5 arrived , i sorned it , then tried a couple of days later to tax it , rang DVLA told go to Post office and that worked , best bit though the tax refund on the motor when guess where 

yup cheque arrived with me ! previous owner moved to Australia 

It's like when you get a refund, they take money off my card instantly but it takes 5 working days to put it back on.

Or solicitors that sit on your money for weeks unless you pay a fee to get it transferred quicker.  I think it's just so it sits in their bank for a while to get an extra few quid.