Sorry to do this... Insurance

dave88sw

Hi,

I know it gets asked a lot but i need a bit of help compiling a list of people to call regarding insuring my Land Rover. I'm 22 and my Land Rover is a 1972 series 3 SWB soft top absolutely standard except for a 300tdi engine and parabolic springs. Reading about on various websites, Peter Best don't insure Modified vehicles if the driver is under 25. Footman James who i have been with before and was very happy with don't state on their website whether they insure modified vehicles. Adrian Flux have always given me utterly ridiculous quotes (£5000 for a £600 Volvo V40??) and after that i get a bit lost as to who else i could try. The big names don't like old cars (my other 2 cars are with Admiral) I would love to go with the NFU as their service when you make a claim is second to none but they don't like under 25's.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dave

Hi.

Sorry I don't have any companies to suggest but do a trawl on the internet, (if you haven't already).

A lot of insurance companies from time to time change their criteria.

I have 4 kids of driving age and know how hard it is to get "bog standard insurance".

Best of luck with it.

I think the kind of companies who can/will accommodate modified/classic vehicles are not the kind who have big flashy websites

My 90 is insured with a broker (heritage) and they only deal over the phone. They charged by mileage rather than modification

Thanks guys, i'll definitely give the suggestions a go, maybe i'll call the local NFU office and see if they will cover me, last time i tried (was a few years ago) they wouldn't insure unless a family member held a policy (my dad did) but even then they were a lot more expensive.

missingsid, yes the V40 was standard (albeit a T4) but they didn't like my 3.9V8 Disco either, they were twice the price on that one vehicle than my multicar policy for the discovery and my V70 T5. I'll give them a call, i've got nothing to lose but i won't hold my breath haha.

A Plan sounds promising, cheers. Has anyone insured a modified vehicle with Footman James? I was very happy with the cover they gave me a few years back when it was standard but i seem to remember someone telling me they don't like mods?

Thanks