I'm a huge V8 fan. But I suspect you'd be better off sticking with the Td5.

The 3.5 even with efi is only approx 165hp on a good day. A chipped TD5 will get similar results, more torque and much better on fuel.

If you are going to the effort finding a 3.9 for a couple hundred quid to swap in at the same time would be worth it.

Richard,

You will end up with a truck that is slower and drinking a lot more fuel.

Knowing the weight you usually carry around for your job I would stick with the TD5 and a manual....

If you want a V8, go for at lease a newer 4.0 Thor engine and get the torque it delivers... But be prepared for 13MPG average....

for less effort you could fit a TD6 , more power better fuel economy . you already have a good part of what you need to do it , keep your rad , and intercooler, your r380 would need a bit of mod , tunnel, and floor would all stay the same. just need to find a good donor BMW 3 L .

Thanks Chaps, I definately need an auto as it is my left knee which is the problem, thanks for the heads up on the 3.5 output, the one I have found someone scrapping a 3.9 auto Range Rover (best thing for it) due to accedent damage on rear) But looking at replies I would be better looking for a TD5 Auto ?

Thanks

R

I went the other way. 3.5 carbed originally, then went 3.9 and finally Td5 (all in the same LR). A carbed 3.5 and a Td5 are virtually the same in everyday drivability. The 3.9 was fun, but no so much so that I missed it even for a second, especially when I compared the 3.5 mpg to the Td5's - I doubled my economy. Ashcroft do an auto conversion for Defender Td5's, it's not cheap but you wouldn't have to worry about a thing :)

Hi Shakleton

I looked into Ashcrofts and spoke to Dave Ashcroft about what would be required for my particular needs, it worked ot £5,000 plut £1000 VAT. I am now looking for an Auto TD5 Discovery to swap over.

Regards

R

I am now looking at getting am Disco TD5 and swapping Engine and Transmission all together as it has done 60.000 miles in the last two years and now has over 230.000 miles on the clock, so if i can find a lowish mileage Auto TD5 Disco and swap the lot and change the transfer box and get newer drive train.