British Built

Bigwood

:blink: I know the Landrover name is asociated with the best 4x4 by far ect . I can only hope the other names asocated with rust will fade whith the new Defender. I have just spent a weekend repairing a bulkhead from a J- reg 90. It is hardly suprsing they rust , the way they are built it is garateed to rust. The foot wells have reiforcing channels underneath that are sealed off when built so no rust proofing is put in. The top of the bulkheads are built with double skins that have no rust proofing at all. I went to Rover to watch the cars beeing built about 10 years ago and I can only say I was horified to see the way they were sprayed with undersealed. After my winge I still think my loyalty to Landrover will stay firm, 12 years as an army mechanic you get to love or hate them.

Look at a J reg Hylux and tell me again how bad LR's rust proffing is.

yes it's got very poor over the last 15yrs but the japs have loads of catching up to do :)

I know all about rusty heaps being an ex mot tester and having owned a Datsun back in the early 80,s. That was rusty from new when I collected it from Hamburg docks. Just me having a bitch, after a weekend of welding and missing using my trusty" British " beast .

Look at a J reg Hylux and tell me again how bad LR's rust proffing is.

yes it's got very poor over the last 15yrs but the japs have loads of catching up to do :)

then look at a j reg range rover vs a j reg landcruiser 80 series, bwhahahahah

in fairness by the mid 90's they had caught up and surpassed.

a lot of '90's jap 4x4's do ok rust wise. 80's jap 4x4's however....

Audi 80 diesel 1993 200,000 miles and NO rust...........

Audi misssed the boat with making proper 4x4's (im not talking about quattros), I wonder if land rover residials would be as strong if Audi had made an off roader back in 1984...

just playing devils advocate... :D

:blink: I know the Landrover name is asociated with the best 4x4 by far ect . I can only hope the other names asocated with rust will fade whith the new Defender. I have just spent a weekend repairing a bulkhead from a J- reg 90. It is hardly suprsing they rust , the way they are built it is garateed to rust. The foot wells have reiforcing channels underneath that are sealed off when built so no rust proofing is put in. The top of the bulkheads are built with double skins that have no rust proofing at all. I went to Rover to watch the cars beeing built about 10 years ago and I can only say I was horified to see the way they were sprayed with undersealed. After my winge I still think my loyalty to Landrover will stay firm, 12 years as an army mechanic you get to love or hate them.

mmm think yours may have had a hard life. My bulkhead on my j reg 90 was fine and did not hardly any rust on it. Did not buy it from somewhere on the coast did you.

My M reg 90 has no rust iether.

My 1985 110 has very little bulkhead rust too, and it hasn't been pampered.

Some seem to suffer more than others, corrosive seaside air is the worst, but there are many areas of the country where the soil/mud is much more 'corrosive' than in other areas, and some Landies have spent more time on wet salted winter roads than others, so I guess it is a bit of a lottery as to whether the one you buy suffers more than the next!

Regards,

Diff

The japs got a terrible reputation early on, but by the mid-80's they had gone the other way to try and knock the image on the head - I've had two Nissans now, both quite old, and hardly any rust on them at all especially if you compared to a Vauxhall / Ford / Rover of the same age. Dad's been through a few Nissans and they all lasted really well too.

My '78 109 doesn't have any rust in it... anymore :rolleyes: 'cos it's all been attacked with a grinder and removed. Now all I gotta do is replace it with metal <_<

Audi 80 diesel 1993 200,000 miles and NO rust...........

just playing devils advocate... :D

It has not stood still long enough to rust :lol::lol:

I had a 'H' 110 which was 7yr old that had done 470000 miles and didn't have a spot of rust (well apart from the cross member) :huh:

It has not stood still long enough to rust :lol::lol:

I had a 'H' 110 which was 7yr old that had done 470000 miles and didn't have a spot of rust (well apart from the cross member) :huh:

on the other hand I once had a mini......

drum brakes front and back (great adjusting those up!)

constant welding (bigger patches each year for the mot)

what a death trap, good job it was the wifes car :D

must be a rover thing....

Dad has two on the farm a 90 and a 110 been used off road all their lives and really very little rust on them.

As with any vehicle, the main enemy is often the owner - particularly the ones that drive them through salt or salt water, and then don't bother to get underneath with a hosepipe. Clean fresh water is a bit like clean fresh engine oil, it works wonders for the longevity. Just don't get the water and the oil mixed up as to what goes where :)

My 90's a '94 and the only bulkhead rust was a couple of small holes (biggest was 10mm diameter once it'd been attacked with a wire wheel) just under the passenger side of the bulkhead. Given the use it gets and that it lives outdoors normally that's not bad IMHO.

:unsure: The bulkhead I bought was out of a fire damaged 1991 ex army 110 county. I dont know its history but have an incling it was used on ranges due to some bits of paper with directions to a milatary range in N/Yorks I found when I stripped out the old dash. My bigest gripe was the complete lack of rust proofing at the top of the bulkhead were the hinge holes are, it is mostly bare primer, gray in coluor. Iff you look at the bottom hinge area threre is a sort of sticky coating . Moral of this being by new bulkhead and modify to fit, dont buy second hand !!.
You do live very close to the sea so they will suffer more than most.