Alternative for 2,5 petrol, -> Mercedes 2.3 of BMW of Volvo

SeriousIIa

I am working on finding an alternative for my underpowered 2.5 petrol engine in my series.

I am considering 3 conversion options and am wondering if anyone has ideas or experience with one of these 3 options?
All three are injection and about 135 to 140 hp with approx 190nm and are 4 cyl ( I can not legally fit a 6 or 8 cyl). In the Netherlands they are readily available. All three are relatively easy on LPG which is also important for me. They all have the exhaust on the propshaft side but this should be manageable.
Mercedes M102 2.3 petrol injection
(normally sits in 190E or 230E)
134Hp 201Nm
Adapter for the the gearbox to engine readily available
Ca 200kg fully dressed, Cast Iron
Volvo B230 (F) 2.3 petrol injection
(Normally sits in a 740, 940 and 240)
136Hp 190 Nm
No adapter found yet, but should be able to fabricate this
Ca 200 kg fully dressed, Cast Iron
BMW M42 1.8 petrol injection
(Normally sits in a E36 318ti, si)
138Hp 175Nm
Bellhousing is a creative solution to fabricate since this engine has no bell housing but doable.
approx 150kg fully dressed, aluminum block
Please let me know if you have any opinions or know of any successful projects documented anywhere online.
Cheers Bowy

There is a turbo version of the Volvo engine.... Cant offer much help but I had a 940 turbo and it did a big end at 250k not too bad, also that engine family has been around for decades so may be the simplest of the 3

The Volvo engines are great. Long lasting and go really well, easy to work on and reliable. I had a B230E which was slightly more powerful than the F. I can only speak of my experiences of that engine in a 240 I once had and kinda wished I'd never sold, but the F was a lower compression derivative of it so would probably last even longer. I have no idea of the complexity of a conversion.

The 230FT was the turbo version at 165bhp. (The B230ET had even more HP)

I have good memories of the Volvo lumps as well, and I think they would be the cheapest to source. But if the adapter has to be made then that is a big factor against........... Not everyone wants an oil burner though, you might start a trend!

Raiding the LR parts bin:

2.0 MPi from a Disco or 1.8 K Series Petrol from a freelander/rover/MG/lotus, there's twincam turbo T-series too.

M47 (Freelander TD4, rover CRDi, BMW whatever) is a cracking little lump with VNT in TD4 form.

Just stumbled across a Mercedes engine nearby. It is not the 102 but the later M111. 150HP and 220nm at a bargain price that is delivers more HP per EURO than any LR engine I've ever bought;) . Now I can start with the conversion as I have also sourced the conversion plate. Thank you all for looking and thinking!

They weren't actually Merc diesels, more Merc sold them the build rights, so weren't built in Germany, and had injection pumps that were made of things softer than cheese, that then filled up the injectors with swarf, killing them at the same time. Repair bill would be over £2K.

Then they just stopped running at all.

Same with the Kia and other Korean cars that used a 'Merc' diesel.

Good luck with the conversion though, should go really well with that on tap :)

Lucky that I am going for a petrol then, no injection pumps to go wrong ;)

They weren't actually Merc diesels, more Merc sold them the build rights, so weren't built in Germany, and had injection pumps that were made of things softer than cheese, that then filled up the injectors with swarf, killing them at the same time. Repair bill would be over £2K.

Then they just stopped running at all.

Same with the Kia and other Korean cars that used a 'Merc' diesel.

Lucky that I am going for a petrol then, no injection pumps to go wrong ;)

What year is your series? And what are your restrictions on an engine swap if it is tax free(as your handle implies a 11a circa late 60s).

If your car is before 1998 (and it is) you can stick about any engine under the hood. Only thing is that you need to go to the RDW for checking workmansship and CO to make it legal. 55euro's and you are done. :-)