Cross drilled input gear

Incidentally, and this should have been said long before this, its a pointless exercise installing a new cross drilled input shaft into the transfer box if the splines on the output shaft from the R380 are worn, if they are worn, dismantle the box and fit a new output shaft.

It's not pointless Iain, it is however not a long term solution. I did over 20,000 more miles on my R380 by going to the cross drilled gear and using the unworn section of splines that existed in mine. The splines had started breaking away completely before I swapped the gear, when I finally changed the gearbox there was no noticable extra wear so I'd happily believe it would have done many more miles if the gearbox hadn't passed away for another reason.

It does however seem it only applies to R380's, also from what people have said it's not a case of all undrilled gears had short splines and all drilled gears had long splines.

Quick call to Ashcroft's will be definitive. I recently got a new Input Gear from them but couldn't get the cross-drilled variety due to age of my Transfer Box.

Agreed, mine was the same. I did plan to cross drill the gear myself but opted for making a catch plate instead and so far it seems to keep the splines nicely wet.

I need to rebuild the LT230 in my 109...it's making some interesting noise...when I do I want to fit the oil feeder, also need to convert it to 2wd/4wd operation. Need to rebuild the LT77 at the same time though and get rid of the worn out mainshaft splines

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurect this old thread but I have been trying to get my old (and worn ) input gear off tonight but can not, assured by my mechanic they just pull out. Swapped over LT77's at the weekend and noticed the one coming out was really worn on the splines was ok 12 months ago when it went in and hence the new cross drilled gear waiting to go in. Any ideas please ? Thanks Angus (Tried a crow bar but was scared of the outer bearing cage breaking and the rollers going down in the casing)

Was planning to slide the transfer box off on some 10mm stud today but found this on Ashcrofts site

" Check that the bolts you used to bolt the transfer box to the main box are in the correct positions. It is possible to fit a "longer" bolt in a position which will jam the intermediate gear and prevent it rotating. There are three bolts down each side attaching the transfer box to the main box and it is the middle of the three on the right hand side that causes the problem. On earlier transfer boxes a "stud" was fitted in this position to reduce the possibility of error. Sometimes the stud is omitted on later boxes or rebuilds."

This is what had happened, I removed the longer (and slightly damaged bolt) and the gear pulled out as you guys had said it would. New cross drilled gear fitted and all is well again. Thanks