Insa Turbo Special Track 285/75 R16

tuko

OK I realize I'm taking a stab in the dark here but the odds are there is actually someone here that runs the above tires in the 285/75R16 size. There's way too much hear/say that the tires height is 33 or 34 inches tall, hell I ever read on one forum that a guy says that they are 35 inches tall. :blink:

There is a supplier here in Sweden that has them in stock and I'm itching at changing my 255/85 KM2's to these tires. I would like a have a slightly wider foot print plus a bit of extra height would be a bonus under the hybrid.

So here's my question for those who does have this tire in this size, what is your actual tire height?

Todd.

I'm cautious when it comes to buying specialty tires like these. A few years ago I bought Silverstone's equivalent to this tire pattern (forgot the name) in 33x9.5R16. Measured next to a worn set of 265/75's BFG MT (31") they were smaller. They were sold direct!

"sad enough to measure" hahahahaha, I thought everyone does that! :rofl:

Maths says it's should be about 32.75" diameter

285 x .75, /25.4, x2 + 16"

I make it 32.83", although pretty close.

((Sidewall mm x 2) + (Rim inch x 25.4)) / 25.4

;)

Can't help with the Insa Turbo's, did find this pic though:

IMG_5002.png

Personally I'd go for a more original tread pattern myself. But then I've never really been one to follow the crowd.

Yesterday I fired off an email to Insa in Spain which I got a reply to. Here is the info that they provided on the above tire size:

DESCRIPTION

285/75X16 SPECIAL TRACK

SI + LI

122/119 N

DIAMETER

855 (34.2")

PERIMETER

TREAD WIDTH

277/288

SECTION WIDTH

THICKNESS

Think you need to justify or at least clarify your last statement a bit.

I would hope people would be able to work out how fitting a glorified tractor tyre to their car might affect it.

Fuel economy

Acceleration

Deceleration

Turn-in

Understeer

Steering feel

Low speed ride

Bump steer

Wet weather behavior

More than any other point: Noise - the kind that would give a Wellington Bomber pilot flashbacks.

I would hope people would be able to work out how fitting a glorified tractor tyre to their car might affect it.

For those not capable:

Fuel economy

Acceleration

Deceleration

Turn-in

Understeer

Steering feel

Low speed ride

Bump steer

Wet weather behavior

Noise

So nothing that matters for a purely off-road tyre?

I also wonder how a tyre, all other things equal, will affect bump steer.

So nothing that matters for a purely off-road tyre?

I also wonder how a tyre, all other things equal, will affect bump steer.

it is not a purely off-road tyre, it is a heavily off-road biased tyre which is legal for on-road use. I found the benefits of the tyre off road were far outweighed when using the car on road, which was about 50% of the time - far less than a lot of people with this tyre. I believe that on road handling is an important factor for anyone purchasing a tyre which will at any point be used on road, hence I innocently offered my opinion.

Bump steer was the wrong term, a consequence of multi tasking at time of writing my post. Please forgive me.

How about this gets back on topic?

Fuel economy

Acceleration

Deceleration

Turn-in

Understeer

Steering feel

Low speed ride

Bump steer

Wet weather behavior

More than any other point: Noise - the kind that would give a Wellington Bomber pilot flashbacks.

Why on earth would you use it as a road tyre??

Using the wrong tool for the job then blaming the item is hardly the mind of a reasonable person.

It's a bit like claiming a Lotus Elise is rubbish, only to find out you'd tried to take it green laning.

You can't be bothered to read my post, I can't be bothered to word out a full reply to yours. The relevant point:

I found the benefits of the tyre off road were far outweighed when using the car on road

In short, anyone considering this tyre who will not be trailering their car, would be well advised to avoid it.

Well, in my case, they'll be in the back of the car until I get to the campsite, where I'll be swapping them. I'm sure I'll kill about two busloads of nuns on my way from the campsite to Walter's Arena this weekend :)

You can't be bothered to read my post, I can't be bothered to word out a full reply to yours. The relevant point:

In short, anyone considering this tyre who will not be trailering their car, would be well advised to avoid it.

Sorry, can't agree. While it is an obvious tread pattern to go for, it is a very good tread. And the tyre is perfectly fine for driving back and forth to off road sites.

Friend of mine has them on his 110, can't remember which size they are, 235/85 I think. He mostly uses his 110 for offroading or laning, and towing heavy trailers. He has no complaints, and is just gearing up to buy new to replace worn, and he's sticking with what he's got.