Free Land Rover

Les Henson

In my work I quite often get offered motors. A week ago a guy comes to my door asking if I'm interested in his Landy. "it's been sat on my drive for a couple of years and I have to shift it".

Images of a knackered old shed slowly disintegrating into a pool of oil and oxidised alloy flashed through my mind.

"I've spent easily a couple of grand on it over the last three years, and as I have to go to Uni in wales, I can't afford to drive it, so it's sat there all this time. I have reciepts for everything that's been done on it"

Slightly more interested now, and maybe getting a reasonable supply of parts at least on the cheap, I say.

"Well, I don't really need another Landy, and I'm not sure I could afford it anyway"

He says " I don't want anything fo rit, I'd just like it to go to someone that'll use it"

After driving the bluddy god-awful Pug for a couple of weeks now, my bum is getting far too soft, and my hearing is improving too.

"There's something wrong with the engine" he says. "We tried to start it and it just spins"

Oh well, if the rest of it is ok, then an engine is no big deal. (I posted about no compression on another thread)

Anyway, I went to look at it the other day, rear window is smashed by local Yoofs, one tyre is flat, the usual layer of green on it that means that mother nature is trying to claim it. I give it a once over - LOADS of bits that are new (or at least were two years ago)

All brake cyinders and shoes are new, fuel tank and lines are new, as is the lift pump. Both door tops and bottoms are new, so are the locks. (but he's lost the keys) Steering column is new (£400-odd quid from Land Rover!!). Steering relay is new as well.

Radiator is new as well.

Seats are out of a Mondeo apparently, and are nice and comfy.

Fairy Overdrive is fitted, and finally a new exhaust system.

I spent this morning checking it over, the tyre was just flat and I re-inflated it with no problem. The battery is gone, and the little thing that's in the pug was almost useless. I had a look at the engine as I couldn't understand how it worked ok when he parked it up on the drive, then appears to have lost compression on all cylinders from just sitting there. I took the rocker cover off and checked the tappets - every single one was too tight, so I adjusted them. The engine compression feels a lot better now, although I suspect it'll be a bit tired.

The reason it wouldn't start? The engine stop cable has snapped keeping the fuel switched off!! :D

Glow plugs are the 12V conversion. I think if I had a decent battery it would have fired up and I could have driven it home. So, check over next week, buy a battery for it, then MOT with any luck. At least I'll be driving a Land Rover again, I hate having to drive a car!

Piccies anyway.

Busted rear window is no big deal. I have a couple of spares. He cleaned the glass up, but I'll get the Vax in there and clean it properly. The extra lights are rubbish, so they'll be going too. The Orange bits are soooooooo last year, so that'll have to go as well.

Freebie01-copy.jpg

The passenger outer wing is new and unpainted, the closing panels are new too. No primer or even undercoat, just black paint. No wonder it's peeling off. Rather an excess of mirrors too!

Freebie02-copy.jpg

The interior is ok, the seats are very comfortable, but they put you right up to the steering wheel. The column shroud is missing, but again I have spares.

Freebie03-copy.jpg

Chassis plate says it all. I have the documents as well. The last MOT ran out in April 2003. 6-former keepers.

Historic vehicle classification (woohoo!) First registered 19th Dec 1967. Engine is the original 2.25D unit fitted at the factory. It was originally Green/White, but black now (rollered).

Freebie05-copy.jpg

Not too bad is it?

Unfortunately the chap next door isn't too pleased (tough luck) the 2A is down the yard, so he probably thought I was having a clean up and Just the one (catflap) was now spoiling his view. A Brace os S3's now, suite my view anyway! :P

Les. :)

Guest diesel_jim

"Unfortunately the chap next door isn't too pleased (tough luck) the 2A is down the yard, so he probably thought I was having a clean up and Just the one (catflap) was now spoiling his view. "

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Les... I've got a beefy battery kicking around the garage. needs a good charge but its yours if you want it.

Thats the least i can do for you raining Mr Pigeon off once more!!

Les.

Just a thought....I struck lucky this way.

Has the tax exemption being recognised by the DVLA.

When I bought mine it was being taxed the normal rate, on supplying the licencing authority with proof from Dunsford that it was built before 1st Jan 1972 I obtained GBP250,00 rebate from them as he had been paying tax when he shouldn't have. ;)

OK Then, looks like tax has been recognised then Les.

A point on your comment about the engine's lack of compression after a period of idleness.

Piston rings are known to sieze 'closed' - ie they do not follow the contours of the cylinder bore and, as they are not, this allows compression to escape past the rings into the sump area.

Usually affects the two pistons closest to the top of the stroke as this area is where the cylinder bore tends to be at it's minimum - as the pistons move from this position the rings tend to remain contracted within the piston grooves.

Giving the old girl a bit of a run may free the rings up - alternative would be head off and clean the grooves and rings - or a decoke...I know someone who poured brake fluid into the carb to free them up - well something freed up as the engine made lots of knocking noises and smoked badly for 2-3 minutes then settled done again....seemed better after though (bush mechanics in Rhodesia)

Chassis plate says it all. I have the documents as well. The last MOT ran out in April 2003. 6-former keepers.

Historic vehicle classification (woohoo!) First registered 19th Dec 1967. Engine is the original 2.25D unit fitted at the factory. It was originally Green/White, but black now (rollered).

Freebie05-copy.jpg

If it was first registered in 1967 then it can't be a series 3, can it? :ph34r: