Grinder consumables

I use 1mm slitting disks for cutting and flap disks for deburring/chamfering.

No specific brand loyalty, but I find the blue flap disks (zirconium I think) far outlast the red/brown AlOx ones.

Having said all that, my disk consumption has plummeted since I bought a plasma cutter, which can cleanly cut a good 8mm.

I've cut through plenty of 12mm plate with 1mm disks. It takes time, but the key thing is to let the disk cut - don't force it - all that does is is reduce cutting speed, wear the abrasive faster, make more noise and kill the grinder sooner.

Most useful attachment is a velcro pad that takes throw away sanding disks (got mine from machine Mart for about a fiver), you can buy a box of the disk for very little via screw fix etc, also get a wider range of grit sizes.

Thank you everyone - I've bought all the things recommended :)

One last question ....

I've also bought an air powered cut off tool - orientated like a grinder and 75mm discs. It has adjustable speeds on it......

I'm presuming this isn't as complex as setting feeds and speeds when machining - but could anyone give a pointer as to when the speeds would be altered ?

Ross... what air-powered grinder do you use? I bought one a while back (no idea what brand) and it runs out of steam very quickly. Sure, the compressor isn't industrial, but a 50l tank and 2.5Hp motor should be good for a reasonable burst of cutting. It fails to cut more than an 2cm through 1mm mild steel sheet before stopping and needing ages to recharge the compressor.

its not about the size of the tank, its the flow rate required, they are quite thirsty on air. your average compressor is happy with about 4CFM flow max where i suspect that thing probably munches on upto 6CFM

All about the volume of air they consume.... Mine uses 14CFM!! The old 25l compressor used to let it slow down after about 30 seconds of full speed.

One thing to remember about compressors is that it's the free air delivery you need to look at, which will be less than the max air displacement that's always quoted. My compressor will happily run the air grinder/air cutoff/die grinder (all basically the same thing with different ends) flat out for as long as I like. The compressor however is a 200L tanked 3 phase one which kicks out a nice and healthy 14cfm free air, and 18cfm max displacement.

For the wire wheel it is well worth getting one of those flip-down masks rather than just glasses. As the wheel wears down the pieces of wire have a habit of becoming lodged in your skin at surprisingly high speed.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/face-shield-clear/6540d

Had someone hospitalized a few years ago through this...wire came adrift and got lodged in his blood stream...not nice!