How hot is diesel soot flame?

discomikey

gauge still has to arrive as of yet, its coming from 'Murica, most likely "via taiwan"

its the only one i could find in the 52mm flavour which displayed a "smart but not too chavvy" etiquette. the same gauge is avaialable quicker and cheaper with red/blue backlighting but that looks "well flash innit"

Is the cast ok to tap then? Thick enough and strong enough? Or should you get a nut ' 'welded' (or whatever you do with cast) above the hole in order to fasten the thermocouple into?

Should be fine.... Your not docking the QE2 off it after all...

Exhaust manifolds can be a bit weird. Mine was fairly soft, others rock-hard, decent ones can be filled with iron which is dead soft, along with iconnel, hastaloy, nimonic and so on, all less than pleasant.

Might be an idea to check the accuracy of said gauge before you start drilling holes. I had a McGill motor sports one with 6mm probe after a few years it stopped working ( suspect thermocouple ) I have recently bought a glowshift 9 colour black gauge this has come with a 3mm probe and seems much better and responds much faster.

EGT gauge certainly makes for interesting viewing.

Will.