Dimple Die types

Are there any strength/rigidity differences in the final panel between the dimple dies with and without a 'return' on the edge of the dimple?

These type just have the chamfer in the corner: http://www.satchellengineering.co.uk/tool.html

These ones have the extra flat bit on the die so it makes another edge on the swage: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-8-Hole-Swage-Dimple-Die-Swager-Autograss-Seven-Locost-Flaring-Tool-Sheet-/291453595690?hash=item43dbfcf02a

Would either one produce a stronger profile on the dimple? Calling SimonR and Bishbosh :P

I think the difference is largely aesthetic. My gut feeling (without analysing it properly) is that just a 45 deg chamfer will give the highest rigidity.

Si

P.S. If I get bored later, I'll run FEA on it just out of curiosity!

Well, I was curious! My gut feeling was wrong!

post-74-0-95942200-1439995496_thumb.jpg

Without a dimple.

post-74-0-58535900-1439994832_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-87363500-1439994845_thumb.jpg

The results on the left are for a simple dimple and on the right with an additional flat bit.

The dimple with the extra bit gives 30% less deflection for the same load case. 47% less than a flat sheet.

Si

• Like 1

Very useful. I've not looked to see if my copy of catia can do FEA.

So looking at your analysis.... is it stiffer with the dimples of either type over the flat sheet?

Most copies of CATIA don't have the analysis built in (at least in my experience). They assume that if you can afford £20k for the software, you'll think nothing of spending another £50k on one of the analysis tools. In most companies using CATIA you end up having a specific dept which deals with the analysis. I hate CATIA!

Any kind of dimple will be stiffer than none.

Si

I'm surprised by this result...... enough I might machine up some more die's

I was under the impression (from comments on OFN) that the commercially available ones that have the lip edge somewhere around 1/4 the drilled hole's size, effectively replaced the strength lost from the hole so the only gain was weight, its why with mine I made the lip size half the hole dia to try and make a gain

Did you dimension the holes the same (dia at base of dimple and hole dia) so the lip on the second is just formed from some of the dimple wall ?

By the way thanks for running this.... I've always been keen to play with FEA but its beyound my budget lol

Did you dimension the holes the same (dia at base of dimple and hole dia) so the lip on the second is just formed from some of the dimple wall ?

I made a guess at the relative sizes of the 45 deg bit and lip. Both dimples have the same OD and start with the same size hole - so the amount of metal involved in the dimple is the same in both cases though the ID will be different once pressed.

Si

I'm surprised by this result...... enough I might machine up some more die's

I was under the impression (from comments on OFN) that the commercially available ones that have the lip edge somewhere around 1/4 the drilled hole's size, effectively replaced the strength lost from the hole so the only gain was weight, its why with mine I made the lip size half the hole dia to try and make a gain

The dimple doesn't increase the strength of it - just the stiffness.

If you want strength, don't drill any holes as they lead to stress concentrations. If you want something to be stiff - a panel you don't want to vibrate for example - then a dimple will help.

In the above example, I am twisting the sheet (well within it's elastic limit) and applying the same torque in each case - looking at how much it deflects.

That's not to say you can't drill holes to lighten a component without impacting it's strength - but you have to know about how it's going to be loaded. If you don't know - don't drill the holes.

Si

Lol and right there is an example of the difference between some one with a formal background and me..... by strength I ment stiffness

Thanks for the dimension stuff, think it might be time for me to scrape together some offcuts and try a few profiles, I bend 3mm in mine and forming a second lip in my press (60 ton) is going to depend on the depth of the second lip, so a bit of trial and error to see how much on the die results in a flat plane and not just a radius..... hmmm I wonder if I play with reliefs, play with the shape of the die.... machine out the female side of the bends and extend the male edges.... this would make the dies more "tuned" to a certain thickness tho....

this sucks working away from my workshop lol I'll have to wait till I'm home to play

• Like 1

Well, I was curious! My gut feeling was wrong!

attachicon.gifNo Dimple.jpg

Without a dimple.

attachicon.gifSimpleDimple.jpgattachicon.gifDouble Dimple.jpg

The results on the left are for a simple dimple and on the right with an additional flat bit.

The dimple with the extra bit gives 30% less deflection for the same load case. 47% less than a flat sheet.

Si

Nice to see an actual measured result (albeit theoretical), what is the Von Mises and FOS like for all 3 cases, does a lower deflection come at the cost of a higher stress (and therefore lower fatigue life), or does it actually reduce stress?

Either answer i wouldn't be surprised as a correctly placed hole in a highly stressed plate can actually reduce the stress by spreading it more evenly through the plate. (although it tends to increase deformation)

needless to say a badly positioned and dimensioned hole and/or sharp corners dramatically increase stress levels.

Very useful. I've not looked to see if my copy of catia can do FEA.

So looking at your analysis.... is it stiffer with the dimples of either type over the flat sheet?

there is less deformation with either type over plain sheet, although the one with the secondary return is less again. this suggests a higher stiffness.