Running a 12V DC ARB Compressor from 240AC Mains ...how best ?

Me and electrics = :stretcher-smiley-emoticon:

:D

so, if I want to run a full ARB compressor loom switchgear on the Diff Bench for air leak testing I COULD

just have a cheap 12V battery and charge when needed, but

how could I / what do I need to buy to have it all powetred of a 240V plug ?

12v to 240 I can find loads even halfords, but what about the other way around ?

Is it a safe to have or is a 12V car battery plus charger as and when a safer / better option ? Surely its a sortable query ??

Nige :D

The Ctek would be an option but I think it will need to be connected to a battery to be able to supply....

I've not tried mine without a battery but if you did use a Ctek charger on a bench battery Nige it would make sure it's always conditioned and therefore you could grab the battery for other purposes in an emergency.. (Starting truck etc.)

Neil

If it were me I would use a spare battery as a reservoir for the high current of the pump with a maintenance charger attached to it to keep it topped up.

If you want to cut out the battery you need to know the running current and startup current of the pump. You can minimise the start up current by ensuring the pump isn't starting against pressure. To do this you need a check valve at your reservoir supply and a 3/2 solenoid valve inline that shuts when the 12v pump starts. If you use one of the black compressor pressure switches with the red button they have all this built in.

Once you know the current I would look at caravan power supplies or bench CB power supplies, usually cheap to find and around 10amp. Alternatively look at PC power supplies, most people have them kicking around and are good for around 7amp on the 12v line (but there are lots of different sized ones so check). The only problem with the PC power supplies is some don't like a no load situation so either stick a lamp as well on them or permanently wire them to the pump and switch the mains side when you want the pump to run.

I assume this is only going to check for short term / obvious leaks? If your looking for long term pressure losses the pump cutting in all the time will kind of hide them?

I agree with Cynic-al. 12v supplies are readily available and can be relatively cheap, but the issue will be peak and average current draw when deciding suitability.

I found data for the high output ARB compressor kit here That would suggest 25A load. You can pay anywhere between £25 and £200 for a suitable supply. Battery charger and old battery sounds more practical.

I wonder how much power it draws?

Im sure Fridge is going to come with a really clever answer soon.

I remember back in my computer modifying days, you could use a computer power supply for testing computers parts. 12v DC...

Yup, regulated 12V and 5V DC available. Plenty of beefy ones available (500W+). You just need to wire two pins together in the ATX connector, and it works perfectly.

I'm struggling to see the justification for using what is an extremely expensive piece of kit on a bench, when you have an air supply in your shed, don't you?

Just fit a regulator and sorted?

Current draw of the smallest ARB is 28A peak, so a normal battery charger will croak at that.... you would need a battery on the bench as well.