Heated windscreen

Hi there well winters coming and I don't want to annoy the neighbours by leving truck running for an hour to warm up at 5 in the morning so was thinking of heated screen so which one to fit. has any of you guys fitted one and which one.

Do you get the wiring and switches with it or is all that extra

And do you need a auto election to wire it up or is it reasonably staight forward (hate electrics)

Any suggestions help or advice would be good

thanks bob

I have a three tab pilkington green tint screen. The screen comes on its own with no wiring.

There are two variants, a two and a three tab. The two has an earth and a live, the three has an earth on the centre tab and a live connection at each end.

You can buy pre wired plug and play kits for about £100, these come with the suitable timer relay and 70A relay etc.

If you can wire up a switch and a relay then it's relatively straight forward. There are plenty of guides on here, the only fiddly part is if you plan to use an original defender HFS switch with a timer relay from the likes of VWP then you have to modify the switch slightly from a negative to positive output.

All of mine have been 3-tab but a couple of the early ones had the connectors at the top while the past three or four have been at the bottom.

If you go for the DIY wiring option don't whatever you do underestimate the current draw or try to utilise an existing supply, start from scratch and use the correctly rated cable & switchgear.

Do you need a timer relay, it is up to you? I have had a manually operated heated screen on my 90 for over 12-years now and in all that time have never forgotten to turn the screen off. The thing with a timer is that they usually operate for several minutes whereas I have found that I can turn the screen off after 1-minute in average conditions and certainly within 2-3 minutes in heavy frost / snow. No big deal as it doesn't affect the ability of the alternator to charge the battery but I am more than happy with the manual set-up.

Thanks some excellent advice so far hadn't thought about a timer or relays for that mater auto electrtion wil be required electrics turn my head to mush after about two seconds

However three tab ones seem to make sense to me

Is there any particular make to get or are they all about the same

And what's the cost rufley thanks bob

The 70a and timer relay come in at £22+vat for both (Vehicle wiring products),an OE defender switch with rear multiplug is £25 (eBay) then all you need is suitable wiring and terminals. Paying for the pre assembled loom does take the guesswork out of the equation if electrics aren't your forté but does make it DIYable. Possibly looking at £60 approx to make your own loom plus maybe 2-3hrs of an auto electricians time. It does make the pre assembled loom look reasonable value when you take that into account.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

do you think these would work on 24v? it might be 2 x voltage and half the current so might be OK but clear less quickly although power output is the same in either case.

I'm presuming the resistance of the wire causes the "regulation" so i wonder. Anybody tried it ?

Hi, I got a couple of heated windscreens done at Pro-Glaze in Chorley , or rather they came out and did it in about 10 minutes. The 2 terminals ones were I think from memory about £130 each fitted, Pilkingtons, (get a new glazing rubber as well). One of the best things to do.

Nigel

Nigel - I'm not that far from Chorley... and have a small chip in my windscreen. How long ago did you have it done ? Did they supply the screen ?

Stephen

do you think these would work on 24v? it might be 2 x voltage and half the current so might be OK but clear less quickly although power output is the same in either case.

I'm presuming the resistance of the wire causes the "regulation" so i wonder. Anybody tried it ?

if you got a three tab screen, it may work by connecting the 24v across the outer tabs and leaving the centre unused. effectively two resistors in series rather than parallel? an adult will confirm my logic hopefully.

normally the three tab runs the earth from centre then the sides are both +12v (two resistors in parallel)=lots of current.

Pete

As ive only just bought my defender and sank a load of cash into it my plan of a heated screen is on the back burner for now.

I have however got the fan and heater working quite well, my plan for the time being is in the really cold weather to run a extension lead out to the landy and have a fan heater in their set on a timer to come on half an hr before i want to use the truck. Hopefully this will take the edge off and clear all the windows till the heater kicks in. About 1 mile atm to get warm 3 miles to get really hot.