Brake faults! I must have ruined the brake system.

As an aside : You've said the calipers have been replaced by new AP items.

As previously said, the pistons should resist minor movement/ run-out of the brake disc. This is designed in via very close control of the caliper piston diameters & surface roughness, seal & seal groove dimensions & seal rubber properties.

If any of the features is incorrect, the piston can move too easily through the seal or be very hard to move through them.

On poorly made / re-manufactured calipers, this could be possible & might make "knock-back" much more likely.

Since AP went out of business quite a few years ago, many service parts made with their name have been made in China, India etc - NOT in the original factory ( in Leamington Spa).

If not already checked, it might be worth checking how easily the pistons move.

Eg take off a front wheel / remove pads & try to push them in.

If they move very easily with very little effort applied, they may be your problem.

Thanks Pawl12 and western.

I had a rear hose from Dave at llama Ralph, great service from him. He's local to me.

Pawl, the brake pads are barely worn really. Although I'm still going to try what you suggested. Somehow I'm really banking on the servo causing the pedals increased travel as I have read some very weird faults from inferior servos. It's doubtful though.

***UPDATE***

Hi all.

New servo fitted this evening. And WOW! The brakes are incredible!!

in fact that good I was a little dangerous for the first few miles on the test drive, as I was so used to pressing hard and now so little effort is needed it was locking up every time even on dry roads.

The pedal also sinks on start up every time. And the brake pedal seems to feel great so far. It's a bit inconsistent at times, mainly due to the increased travel when cornering I believe.

But overall a fantastic result so thanks to you all :)

that's good news on the servo replacement, beginning to wonder if the front flexy hoses are stretching & internally collapsing when your turning.

Thanks Ralph. Is there anyway I could pin point it do you think? I mean I've tried turning on the spot and making the issue happen, and I couldn't see any issues underneath on lock to lock. But I'm keen to isolate it if I can. Braided hoses are a pain as they can't be clamped.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Hope you all had a good Christmas!

Today, I decided to remove the drivers side front caliper, while still connected. Put two old pads between existing pads (to act as a disc) tie the caliper out the way. And take it for a small drive on private land.

I planned to do this both sides, and whichever caliper removed didn't show the pedal sinking on cornering was the problematic corner.

Anyway, it didn't seem like a very good test. As I was too wary of the security of the caliper. However, the pedal did seemed to me more spongy. I'm wondering of that was due to the bends in the flexi pipe being more severe.

Anyway, while the wheels we're off. I thought sod it, I might as well tighten the bearings as tight as possible before they bind too much. And see if the same happens... and it did!

So it's 100% not a hub bearing issue now. There was no play before I adjusted them, but I thought I'd give it ago incase.

Is the only thing it can be now is the brake flexis? I'm very very reluctant to replace more parts and have to bleed brakes again with what I've already done.

If it is the flexis, does anyone know who custom makes them in the rubber variety instead of stainless?

Thank you

go to your local car parts place and have them look in the back of the brake hose parts book , some have hose lengths listed . Or put a new set of braided ss hoses on from a good supplier . There have been some recommendations for Llama 4x4. For the cost of a set its got to be worth a try

cheers

Steveb

I wouldn't be too worried about getting more braided type, they have a very good track history, so I would have thought it could be just a bad set of hoses, or that your set-up is somehow causing an issue? have you got any pictures of your axle ends (callipers and brake hose set-up)?

Thanks chaps and happy new year to you all. I'll try and get some photos too.

I've been doing some more research. Mainly into my method of working on the hubs. I've been fitting the inner hub seals flush with the hub. The outer lip flush with the hub basically.

Is this correct? Could it be the cause?

not sure on exact dimensions but i fitted my seals so that no part of the seal would rub on the stub axle, i.e put a steel rule across the flange and sit the oil seal a gnats doodah under it.

That was second go, after I had helpfully fitted the oil seal really well......... then looked over at the new bearing on the bench

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry I'm sorry. I know your all going to hate me for bringing this thread back up again.

I ordered some goodridge flexis to replace the terrifirmas that may have been the culprit of the problem. Anyway, been as the old braided hoses were coming off, I decided to clamp each front hose and drive down a private road. The brakes were perfect, pedal did sink when turning but only a very minute amount (seriously nit picking), the same with the other side. So it seems it's the front as expected, even though there's no play by feel.

So, even though I've tried smaller wheels, it's seeming like it's bearings still. So as a last resort, I'm thinking of trying the spacers between the bearings like on the td5 models, making sure they are really tight up to the spacer.

But, which spacer should I use? They are new bearings if that helps?

Many thanks all

Thanks Bowie i will give that ago. Just a final thought, the front diff or CV'S wouldn't have any affect would they? Incorrectly shimmed or something pushing/pulling the hub if something isn't right.

Totally guessing. I'll try the bearings tight, if not then I think I'll put this one to bed.

Thanks to everyone