Drain hole in bottom of Bellhousing

Good day chaps and chapesses

200TDI with LT77. I have a threaded hole in the bottom of the bellhousing, with nothing in it.

With the recent very deep floods here in the lakes I suspect water has been getting in.

I have a wading kit fitted, my guess is someone left the bung out when work was being done.

Clutch slips when its been through puddles, is fine when dry.

I guess there should be a plug in there, but can't find a part number that matches the description.

Any advice please.

Ta

David

I believe that the thread is a quarter inch BSP and you can use a simple tap fitting from a Davy Brown Tractor open when dry closed when wading or in deep water, I am sure I read it on a forum somewhere in the past I fitted one to the series three and it works fine except when you come across unexpected flooded roads and are half way through before you remember to check if you had closed it (don't stop to check) or you can fit a breather to it so you will not need to worry again unless it works free, oh the joys of Land Rover ownership

This is what you need http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Lover-Defender-Discovery-1-RRc-200-300-tdi-wading-plugs-x-2-gwynlewis4x4-/171335370962?hash=item27e46248d2:m:moDYw_u-hGNmlnReA6h5C0w

Only fit when planning on wading though which it looks like you could be doing quite a bit by the weather forcast.

HOW MUCH?

Certainly on an LT95 the wading plug is stored in a nearby threaded hole so it is always handy - is this not the same for the LT77?

Garry

It comes in the original toolkit along with one for the timing cover - usually long gone by now. I've had nearly 30 defenders and only come across two kits with the plugs still within, both out of a scrappers!

This is what you need http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Lover-Defender-Discovery-1-RRc-200-300-tdi-wading-plugs-x-2-gwynlewis4x4-/171335370962?hash=item27e46248d2:m:moDYw_u-hGNmlnReA6h5C0w

Only fit when planning on wading though which it looks like you could be doing quite a bit by the weather forcast.

I run my truck with the wading plug in the bell housing all the time and I've never had any issues - its worth noting that the bell-housing isn't sealed to the flywheel housing on my truck.

I run my truck with the wading plug in the bell housing all the time and I've never had any issues - its worth noting that the bell-housing isn't sealed to the flywheel housing on my truck.

All the more reason to leave the plug out - it'll reduce the ability of the case to drain without helping it resist filling in the first place.

All the more reason to leave the plug out - it'll reduce the ability of the case to drain without helping it resist filling in the first place.

Yes a valid point. Its only worked for me as I don't go over the standard wading depth of the vehicle unless really needed, and then its generally not for any prolonged periods of time, if you're doing a lot of wading this could present a problem.

Best left out,on ones that I have done clutches on where the plug has been in - there has been lots of corrosion on the starter gear,clutch arm etc.

Avoiding deep water is the best option, I really don't get the obsession with wading kits and snorkels, if people knew how much damage they were doing to their car they might be more careful.