How much swarf is too much?

daveturnbull

The swarf does look quite big, how long ago was it checked before? I must say though, I have magnets in the diff as well, and the amount of swarf in these (and the gearboxes) is always more than I think is reasonable. Better on the plug than in the gearbox, so I suggest just clean it and refill with clean oil.

when i changed the oil in my discoverys gearbox a few days after buying it the swarf was so bad i expected the gearbox to start failing within a few weeks..... it didnt.. .. it took 6 months before 2nd gear syncro let go completely and meant i had to double declutch every time i wanted 2nd....

I often worried too, but after 10,000+ kms I realized how fruitless any worry was :)

I only tend to get excited about big chunks now and even then only a little, easier to plan a reconditioned box to replace it with and enjoy the rest of the day.

when I worked on heavy plant we used to get our oil lab tested, every axle, planetary hub, drop box, engine, gearbox and hydraulic system from everything on the firm, it helped to determine component lifespans and enabled planning of exchange components to minimize machine down times, although expensive, not as expensive as having a 50T digger sitting still with shot hydraulic pumps with 5 or more dump trucks standing idle until it's back up and running, that can take weeks!! Believe me, I had it on my Komatsu PC450 :(