300tdi backpressure at air filter

Kurt

Glad you found it Kurt.

Mo

Thanks Mo.

hope it solves it for you kurt! have you got the head off?

Job for tomorrow evening! :) I'l keep this thread updated as to what i may find. Thanks all for the suggestions , helped keep me motivated and determined in pinpointing the problem and thankfully before something went pop!

Quick update

Head off today and gasket appears to have failed ( but not in a spectacular fashion) between water gallery and no.3 cylinder. Also plenty of oil around pushrod area on block surface but not certain if this is just spillage whilst removing head. Have opted for a new head and its waiting , all shiny .to be fitted on my workbench . Had a minor panic refitting injectors to the correct spec as per workshop manual as one just point blank refused to torque up! After much head scratching it became obvious on inspection that the injector stud was stretching itself into an hour glass profile! All at around 15nm! must be made of cheese. Whipped one out of the old head (which I was a bit weary of re-using at first with all the horror stories of these snapping) and it tightened up just fine.

I did fit new valve stem seals a couple of week ago as i was getting quite a bit of smoke on idle which cured the problem. three of them were in quite a state. Maybe that could explain the difference in the ports?

Not necessarily, depends on the leakage back, which will always be more that what ends up down the exhaust.

The clean inlet is probably down to the water(as mentioned above) with the exhaust charge, pulsating back into the inlet tract, and then getting sucked back on next 'suck' and shoved out the exhaust.

Engine exhaust and inlet air movement must be loomed at as a series of pulses, and not a continuous air stream.

3 & 4 were clean because of the coolant in the combustion

1 & 2 sound normal . Are you going to get the head checked ?

cheers

Steveb

Not sure what to do with the old head. May get it checked and keep as spare ( they may get rare one day! ).

just thinking out loud here, if it was a valve,cam, rocker timing etc issue and exhaust was making its way out the intake, surely it would smell exhausty !!! mine definitely doesn't !!

Neither does mine! Intercooler pipe off and theres a definate strong vacuum at the inlet. Same if i disconnect inlet pipe from turbo but when i reconnect it the pulsing begins again at the filter box. As mentioned already perhaps some kind of turbulance generated inherit to the intake design is the only other reason i can think of. Im quite intrigued by how many other tdi's may be showing this quirk/symptom. I dont think i would of noticed to be honest if the little rubber cap thingy hadnt of been missing off my air cleaner.

Managed to fit the new head today. Was plenty of fun in sideways hailstone! :wacko: Took her for a short drive and all seems well regarding combustion escaping into coolant. though I was running out of light by the time I had finished so I shall have a thorough check tomorrow. Seemed to take far longer in the cold putting it back on than I recollect last time I did the headgasket. To many retreats inside for coffee this time around possibly! What I am definitely aware of however is that the backpressure at the air filter still remains......

your a braver man than me! I did mine outside on a nice summers day!! no way would i be doing in this weather!! so still booming too? its gutting after the work involved a cost of the new head, but at least its done and will be good for a good while now! and it eliminates it from the search!!

There will always be some breathing as some gasses will get past the piston rings and valve stemns. The question is how much are you getting - that is entirely subjective; what one man says is small another may call high. Did you look at the bores and piston crowns while the head was off? You may have a scored bore, cracked piston or worn rings. The head is not likely to be the cause.

When I had valve timing overlap thanks to the earlier suggested broken rocker shaft it was very noticeable, chuffing very loudly from the RAI on tickover. So I suspect that if you had any valve timing issues or inlet/exhaust compromise on yours it would be equally as loud and noticeable. The fact that you discovered it by accident leads me to suspect that what you have is perhaps normal.

Reasonable ?

Mo

I'm not worried about the pressure, my issue is the overwhelming booming in the cab. I'm gonna try a new downpipes next, with flexi pipe just incase its got a leak I'm not finding or its resonating at a frequency the car doesn't like! but I'm 99.9% sure the booming is coming from the air box!!