LED headlight frosting?

WesBrooks

It's -15 here, I just came in the house from a short run into town. Before leaving I had to wipe the headlights, there is enough emitting heat to keep the lens clear driving around in town at low speed but not on the highway. As Mike and myself have written before in falling snow the snow does build up on the lens reducing visibility.

Googling I did find the heated version cheaper here: http://www.northridge4x4.com/rigid-industries-truck-lite-7-round-heated-headlights-w-h13h4-adapter-55005

I wouldn't be surprised if a person tried they could even find them cheaper.

Todd.

Definately food for thought! I was looking at the 27291C. Can't find any heated Trucklites with UK pattern lights. After paying for two replacemens xenon bulbs on my daily driver I'd never choose to put them in.

Maintenance free, efficient, long life, and sealed LEDs sounded great.

Perhaps a headlamp washing system filled with antifreeze would work?

James,

that I think would be the ticket, I wonder if anyone has cobbles together a headlamp washer unit from parts at the scrappy? I'm unsure what would be consider a high (enough) pressure pump that blasts away the snow. A standard washer jet pump wouldn't be enough or would it?

Todd.

James,

that I think would be the ticket, I wonder if anyone has cobbles together a headlamp washer unit from parts at the scrappy? I'm unsure what would be consider a high (enough) pressure pump that blasts away the snow. A standard washer jet pump wouldn't be enough or would it?

Todd.

I'm thinking about this for mine. I don't use my rear wiper (it hasn't worked for over 10 years and i don't miss it) so i am planning to redirect the rear washer. If the current washer pump is up to the job, its just a case of finding suitable jets and doing the pipework.

I was thinking about a washer, I've got them on my Superb. Basically any car with headlights above a certain lux level (HID, and some LED from what I know) need either self leveling suspension or headlights and head light washers. Dirt on the headlight lenses causes the light pattern to degrade which can lead to more dazzling other drivers.

The issue with a lot of xenon headlight set ups is they are on pop out things - I think the Skoda's are popped out by the water pressure.

With regards to the D1s they also had much larger bore pipe going to them.

Another issue is finding jets that are heated. If not heated the antifreeze will boil off a wet nozzle jet leaving water that freezes. Washer jets are often heated on recent cars.

Posted while I was typing. Good spot. If they're heated then they'd be great. Might have a closer look if I can get some old ones from ebay to see if I could make them heated. Would'nt need much wattage behind a plastic shield. Certinally no need for the little cartidge heaters you get on the 3D printers!

Just reading through the furum post:

"I think those are the (extremely rare) genuine optional washer jets."

Nuts!

Edit:

Bet there are some on HGVs. They would be designed to be mounted on near vertical surfaces too. £50 is a bit much to buy a pair to hack about.

Would a second set of high beams be beneficial as spot lights or would they do little in combination to the LED on full and dipped beam? If so the centre lights could be enabled as a secondary pair of head lights with the dipped disabled for normal driving. Don't think I've changed the halagon fogs or high beams on my Skoda in over 100k miles of motoring!

Dubious legality though, and the problem would then be your from positional lights getting burried.

The disco pump fits at least some of the under wing defender bottles possibly all. The disco squirters could probably be made to either as above or in the bumper. Neat screen wash doesn't freeze till about -15 mixed at about -2. The disco system is large bore about 2.5mm jets and high pressure it uses around 8mm rubber hose. I used this system on the tomcat and it's going on the ibex but for the windscreen.

Mike