Defender 90 Galvanised Chassis

Interesting thread:

1. I received my 110 chassis from Marslands a few months back. They were really good to be honest. There was an issue with the first one I ordered - the galving process may or may not have been OK but they notified me with photos before shipping. I was slightly uncomfortable about it, but without hesitation they accepted my request that I didn't want it and I waited another 6 weeks and they sent a new one down to Cornwall all looking good. They have an agreement with LR to buy exactly the same chassis from GKN direct hence why an official LR original will be more expensive.
  2. Yes - the chassis is later design for the plastic tank. I've decided to go with the plastic tank. I prefered the old steel ones but a friend recently bought a new steel one and the build/steel quality was poor so unless you treated it I could see it rusting much quicker than the older ones. My guess on this is that so many things today are made from lower grade chinese steel whereas 30 years back British steel was used.
  3. I work offshore and as mentioned already, zinc anodes are bolted onto all subsea ferrous constructs - cathodic protection known as sacrificial anodes. We replace them all the time and they work but of course underwater the entire construct is in "conductance" due to seawater.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just spoke to Marsland.

I need to order a V8 spec chassis for my 110 as the engine/gearbox is V8 fitment. As such they will only supply with fittings for the old style metal tank, they are unable to supply me with a chassis with V8 engine/gearbox mounts but the Td5/Tdci tank mounts. Apparently they get them from GKN like that, I thought they were buying new Tdci spec chassis and then modifying them themselves but it seems not.

Bit rubbish really. I see Duckworth Parts have some genuine 110 chassis on eBay - might look into buying one of those and modifying myself. Would rather not get a Richards Chassis if I am honest.

Or I might just cut the brackets off as suggested above to allow me to fit the plastic tank. The metal tank would be OK if you could get new genuine ones, but they're NLA unfortunately.

I am looking at a chassis replacement and have a couple of questions others may be able to answer.

My truck is a 300tdi 130, a lot of people have said go with the plastic fuel tank my question is are they a direct replacement for steel for the pipework?

James why would you prefer not to have a richards chassis out of intrest?

I have had a quote off Marsland and am leaning towards it even if they are doing my head in slightly, call me old fashioned but i cant help feeling queezy about giving someone 2000 pounds and then waiting 6 weeks to get something. I also cant belive Marsland dont do things ljke the galvanised crossmember for the doublecab/csw.

I think the fuel lines would be different, not sure about the filler pipework.

I had a bad experience with Richards where an outrigger on my 88" chassis was out of place by enough to require modification for the bodywork to line up correctly. Plus I like the original construction method on the Marsland ones.

Having thought about it I think I'm going to go for the Marsland one and modify it to use the later plastic tank. I was quoted 2-3 weeks lead time this afternoon for a 110" V8 chassis.

I need to order a V8 spec chassis for my 110 as the engine/gearbox is V8 fitment. As such they will only supply with fittings for the old style metal tank, they are unable to supply me with a chassis with V8 engine/gearbox mounts but the Td5/Tdci tank mounts. Apparently they get them from GKN like that, I thought they were buying new Tdci spec chassis and then modifying them themselves but it seems not.

Interesting. Can't really think why GKN would be doing that.

My truck is a 300tdi 130, a lot of people have said go with the plastic fuel tank my question is are they a direct replacement for steel for the pipework?

You will need the push fit connectors to work with the more modern fuel sender units. I couldn't find any separately, so bought some second hand Td5 fuel lines and cut them off. Add these onto the existing pipe. You will need to cut it down a bit, as the metal tank has connections top and side, whereas plastic tank is all on the top.

Filler pipework is different. The metal tank's filler pipe shrinks along it's length whereas plastic tank is uniform. The diameters of the connections to the tank and filler neck are different diameters between the tanks. Second hand Td5 filler parts are cheap to comeby.

Thanks for the replys

I am leaning towards Marsland but am not liking the idea of the plastic fuel tank, sounds like there is faffing about to be done and i would like to keep it simple.

Marsland also have a 4-6 week lead time as opposed to 12-13 from richards. I like the idea of an original looking chassis

I had a bad experience with Richards where an outrigger on my 88" chassis was out of place by enough to require modification for the bodywork to line up correctly. Plus I like the original construction method on the Marsland ones.

Having thought about it I think I'm going to go for the Marsland one and modify it to use the later plastic tank. I was quoted 2-3 weeks lead time this afternoon for a 110" V8 chassis.

Is it not easier to buy the plastic tank chassis without mounts and weld on the V8 engine mounts?

I ordered mine without engine mounts as i was planning to fit a silly engine, then changed my mind and simply welded on some TD5 mounts in the correct place. Marslands even supplied me the TD5 mounts when i asked them some time later about my change of plans.

Is it not easier to buy the plastic tank chassis without mounts and weld on the V8 engine mounts?

I ordered mine without engine mounts as i was planning to fit a silly engine, then changed my mind and simply welded on some TD5 mounts in the correct place. Marslands even supplied me the TD5 mounts when i asked them some time later about my change of plans.

That is a good strategy, just from a future corrosion point of view. It would be better to have the galvanising in good condition at the rear of the chassis and usually there is more oil sloshing around the front of the chassis where the engine mounts are.

my marsland 110 chassis has all the fixings for the td5 plastic tank & the older steel tank, my steel tank was in good condition so kept it,

Did you know this prior to ordering Ralph? I have spoken with Sharon at Marsland today who told me that they couldnt do both? I had just about made my mind up to hand over the dosh but this has set a few alarm bells off in my head as to me it says Marsland are not sure what they are selling?!

So is it the case that they're passing on the chassis direct from GKN without modifying (except for galv), and GKN either do:

• 300Tdi/V8 with metal tank,
  • or Td5/Tdci with plastic tank

but not a mix between the two?

As i understood it yes which is why I was puzzled when ralph said he had mounts for both tanks. However all the chassis out of GKN have the TD5 crossmember

Did you know this prior to ordering Ralph? I have spoken with Sharon at Marsland today who told me that they couldnt do both? I had just about made my mind up to hand over the dosh but this has set a few alarm bells off in my head as to me it says Marsland are not sure what they are selling?!

Yes, I emailed & spoke to them before paying for my new chassis, my existing steel tank is in good condition with no leaks & it's not the 1989 original replaced it a few years ago, didn't need the plastic tank so there was no point in me buying a td5 tank, when my steel one was still good to use.

my chassis was a 2013 build so maybe GKN have deleted the steel tank attachment points at a later date.

underside of my marsland chassis during priming, the Td5 tank strap brackets circled in orange, the steel tank forward attachment circled in red, rear end bolts to the rear crossmember lip

post-20-0-88176200-1456937669_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ralph for the reply no they havent deleted the steel tank brackets they are saying we cant have plastic tank fittings without modification on a 130 chassis. Like you i have changed my tank and lets face it, its not a bad job and not expensive to do in the future if i needed to again. Its just all my friends think i have lost leave of my senses!

The last email i have just recieved from Marsland said they only had 5 130 base chassis left and may not get more till later in the year. I am sure it was genuine advice but did feel a tad hard seĺl.

That's a shame. Cutting a bracket off that's not in a rot spot wouldn't worry me but that rear crossmember would be a lot of grinding to remove all those stitch welds.

Looks like the holes are present in the forward crossmember for the Td5-on cradle, as are the holes in the front face of the rear crossmember. In other words it's the later frame. So someone at either GKN or Marsland is adding that angular brace and the bracket to allow fitment of the older tank - seems kind of stupid that we can't just ask for that not to be done.

That's a shame. Cutting a bracket off that's not in a rot spot wouldn't worry me but that rear crossmember would be a lot of grinding to remove all those stitch welds.

Looks like the holes are present in the forward crossmember for the Td5-on cradle, as are the holes in the front face of the rear crossmember. In other words it's the later frame. So someone at either GKN or Marsland is adding that angular brace and the bracket to allow fitment of the older tank - seems kind of stupid that we can't just ask for that not to be done.

When I bought mine they told me it was a standard chassis from GKN that they fitted mounts as required, then off to galv. The only thing they wouldn't do is move away from the TD5/new rear x with the adjustable body mount thingy...

In the case of the 130 chassis being discussed now, I suspect they may have already done a few and want to sell those first.

I am finding emailing Marsland hardwork, dont get me wrong they reply promptly but it feels like you are pulling teeth all the while, last night i recieved a reply to say i can spec plastic tank mounts if i wanted. However no mention of costs or leadtime i do feel like i am banging my head against a brick wall.

Second hand plastic tanks seem to be around 100quid then theres buying straps mounts and whatever else needed. My current steel tank is 10 yrs old and far from knackered uts also not genuine. I cant help but think a new steel tank cleand and galvafroid painted and then waxoiled is going to last 10-15years.