Legalities?

Nigelw

Do rally cars go for iva tests though or simply fly under the radar regarding MOT etc ,for example hydraulic handbrakes are not road legal ,competition numbers on cars (and bikes)are not road legal and stage rally tires are not road legal(I know because we use em on f1 stockcars)but they travel to different stages on the roads on em .It's a minefield!

Do rally cars go for iva tests though or simply fly under the radar regarding MOT etc ,for example hydraulic handbrakes are not road legal ,competition numbers on cars (and bikes)are not road legal and stage rally tires are not road legal(I know because we use em on f1 stockcars)but they travel to different stages on the roads on em .It's a minefield!

Group n's bought from reputable companies are IVA tested. WRC's, it depends if it is a factory entry, then it is a prototype, and they are allowed anything they want. If it is a customer car, potentially an IVA is required. Problem with the IVA is that they pass it, then modify the car with hydraulic handbrakes, non legal seatbelts, tyres etc. as above mentioned. So not legal basically.

Daan

Cheers Daan,Western .Racing Harness belts are now Street legal I believe ,the prototype rule I understand and yes I can believe the hyd handbrake mod after the iva test ,if they also left the cable handbrake in they would be fine but none I've ever seen have .For F1 stockcars we mostly use Pirelli K4/6/8 stage rally tires and they all say not for road use ,did ponder putting some on my punto last winter but decided it wasn't worth the legal hassle .

There is of course a great difference between what is legal, and what people do and get away with. The law is so complicated it is difficult to be sure which is which. but it all fine until there is a serious accident.

If you read the reports on, say, an airliner crash you may well read about operational errors and failings and wonder how they can be allowed to occur. But until the crash they were not an issue and no one worried about them.

Eventually the matter may be resolved by the law saying no modifications what so ever to maker's spec on road going cars. That will take the fun out of it. But again how they will police it is another matter.