Temp sender on transferbox

Nigelw

Which Discovery had a temp sensor on the transferbox?

And why?

I picked up a S/H transferbox last week and it curiously has a temp sensor on the side, it has two terminals on it and wondered if maybe it was temp & level sensor? It's a 1.2 box and vendor says Disco 1.

Any help?

Joke; All the odd numbers had them, except on Tuesday's or near bank holidays, when they swapped to even numbers.

But I bet I'm closer than the actual answer which will likely be; "export models outside the EU, except for that time when we didn't pay the bill in time and the 'expensive ones' were all we had in the stores" :)

That does sound like a typical Land rover thing to do! However I thought that the V8i Discovery's had an excessive transfer box temperature light on the dashboard which was switched on at around 120 deg C. I think the switch is PRC7984, but have never owned one so cannot be sure if the dash light is correct or not.

Toby

My understanding is all V8 models had a temperature sender on the transfer box, the R380 had an oil cooler with a thermostatic wax pellet connection on the side -- my 300Tdi has this to compensate for the higher Australian ambient temperatures, not standard but I fitted it myself using an auto box oil cooler and connection hoses.

The high temp sender switch turned on a separate transfer box oil warning light on the dash, mine switches the same light as the R380 - I just have to figure out which box, transfer or R380 is running hot :blush: this has only happened a couple of times crossing over bloody huge sand dunes in the Simpson desert on extremely hot days and my modus operandi is to pull over for a cuppa and relax for an hour with the engine idling away to circulate the oil.

UK Discovery 1s from VIN MA 081992 have a transfer box temperature sensor fitted, it doesn't matter what fuel the engine uses.

V8 D1s don't have an excessive "transfer box" temperature warning light on the dash, neither does the Tdi but both do have an excessive "transmission" temperature warning light built into the dash, the same lamp is shared by the auto gearbox excessive temperature sensor.