Defender heater into series 3

Tim2809

Looking at fitting a defender heater into my series so i can actually turn the heat off since tdi conversion. I know about the wiring will need modifying and the bulkhead support bracket needs trimming but does anyoneknow how does it line up and are mounting holes in the right place

It will not really sort of line up I'm afraid.

Mods are needed. I am about to take the 2.5 N/A out and fit a 200 Tdi in the Series and heating is a point to address. Before getting drastic, some people have fitted a sandwich heater - 2 Series matrixes in the box and that does seem to make a difference.

As I have an Webasto lying around, I'm not too worried and will prob. end up building something from scratch.

Problem i got is i cannot turn heat off so it blows cold air only. Its lovely and hot in the winter so no issues with it for heat. The original had a heater tap but cant fit it on a 300tdi and defender has a flap to re direct air past matrix to give cold air only. Ive seen pics of the defender heater fitted to series but not seen one in the flesh or spoke to anyone who has fitted one

Fitting the heater into the vehicle is the easy bit, the top bolts line straight up and then you just drill through the footwell top to bolt the lower bracket in place. Trim bulkhead bracket as described.

More difficult is the air intake, most just leave it breathing underbonnet air which is fine so long as your manifolds are gas-tight. Otherwise you'll need to rig up some ducting or modify the blower unit.

Thanks retroanaconda just the answer i was looking for. I can fab a new intake without much hastle. Exhaust is sealed but i dont like the idea of under bonnet fumes and also heat so will rig up a ducting

• 2 weeks later...

It will not really sort of line up I'm afraid.

Mods are needed. I am about to take the 2.5 N/A out and fit a 200 Tdi in the Series and heating is a point to address. Before getting drastic, some people have fitted a sandwich heater - 2 Series matrixes in the box and that does seem to make a difference.

As I have an Webasto lying around, I'm not too worried and will prob. end up building something from scratch.

are you taking a healthy 2.5 out? or a 2.25?

My Defender heater has air too hot to keep your fingers over the vents. It has markedly better airflow than the SIII heater, but it's still weak compared to a modern car or the Defender TDCI heater. A RRC/Discovery heater would eb great if you can find a neat way of fitting it.

• 2 weeks later...