one ten original launch date

miketomcat

Somehow it seems odd to me that they would release a new vehicle half way through the registration year, maybe people didnt think about it the same way then but I am sure I remember somne one saying there was always a rush to buy a new car on August 1st because that was the start of new registraition year,

but that means that the first 110's (upto july) would have been Y registration and the later ones from August that year would have been the prefix A with the new reversal of the plate.

Pre production are 82 Y plates ours is a production 83 Y plate. I specifically went looking for a Y plate ours is tatty and modified thus a sensible price when we bought it. We wanted an early one and I'm happy to learn it's earlier than I thought. I was thinking launch may of been January as all the pre productions seem to be 82 Y's.

I'm pretty sure ours went through the equivalent of special vehicles as it has a second tank, vacuum tank for coupled brakes and hand throttle. One day I'll send off for previous owners list and see if it was a utility company vehicle.

Mike

launched at Geneva motor show March 1983, in my book land rover 90 & 110 1983 to 1990 by James Taylor, in the vehicle identity section it shows the VIN last 6 digits as 184732 for the first 110

I would be really interested to know what the first 90 serial number was?

I had looked at this in the past and assumed ( ass ) that the first 90 serial would be 001 :-)

mine is an early 1985 and whilst I'm sure it has no real historic significance it would be nice to know how many went before.

I used to have a 110 with a VIN ending in 190385, which was as original as it was rusty. Unfortunately, I had to give it away during a difficult move last year, and I hate to think what's happened to it. I should have put it up on eBay to see if anyone wanted it, but I didn't realise there was any interest until it was too late.

I would be really interested to know what the first 90 serial number was?

I had looked at this in the past and assumed ( ass ) that the first 90 serial would be 001 :-)

mine is an early 1985 and whilst I'm sure it has no real historic significance it would be nice to know how many went before.

from the same book -- first 90 was VIN ending 213333.June 84

On a similar vein.... where I'm currently staying for work there is a Series IIA 88" parked up, it's on a K plate and DVLA say it was first registered on 22nd September 1971. Apparently Series III production started on 1st Sept 1971 so it must be a pretty late IIA.

Unless it's the wrong ID, though it certainly looks like a IIa - has got the right dash, door hinges etc. It's been sat with no MOT since 2008, might see if they will sell it...

Aaargh I've started rivet counting! :wacko:

Trust me there's no rivet counting on my part. Mines the wrong colour, wrong engine, it now has the right gearbox, wrong seats, rather a lot of filler one side, wrong wheels/tyres and the rear sides/alpine windows have been plated over. Oh and the chassis has a lot of plates.

Hmmm I guess I'm counting the rivets I don't have.

Mike